Just added Xenia!

jerthunter

I just picked up a small Xenia frag today from another hobbiest (thank you btw).
Here is the picture with just my actinics on.

jerth6932

That looks like a nice little Stalk!!! I got some for my tank on Thurs.... I love mine!!!! Who did you get yours from????

jerthunter

Yup, I think xenia looks awesome. I got mine from Funkyman, he lives in the same area as me so I just picked it up today.

jmick

Looks really good! If you want it to spread have it lean up against the rock to the right and it’ll attach to it in a few days and you’ll have 2 xenias in about a week…that stuff grows like mad!

mrdc

Xenia does well for some people and spreads like crazy for others. Mine hasn't spread too fast bu my neighbor has to clean his tank out every 2 weeks :scared:
Here is some of mine:

jmick

I’ve found that once it reaches the highest point it can get to it slows down and doesn’t grow fast. When you give it an opportunity to move upwards it spreads very quickly. When I want to frag mine I’ll put a piece of rubble next to a stalk and it’ll grow up the little rock and will still leave a little piece behind which will grow a new stalk.

jerthunter

Originally Posted by Jmick
Looks really good! If you want it to spread have it lean up against the rock to the right and it’ll attach to it in a few days and you’ll have 2 xenias in about a week…that stuff grows like mad!
That is what I am planning on doing. I actually moved it slightly closer to the rock on the right and if it splits and spreads I plan on moving to the rock on the left so I can start a few colonies.

steve24

Originally Posted by Jerthunter
Yup, I think xenia looks awesome. I got mine from Funkyman, he lives in the same area as me so I just picked it up today.

where abouts in ohio are the two of you, .... lima, here

grmreefer2

very nice jerth! and I promise not to confuse you with the other Jerth! LOL like i previously did! HAHA.
anyways, i picked up some xenia myself, but the rock mine came on wasnt a rock, but instead an extra large empty snail shell.. I will post pics of it eventually.. im just glad to have found a way to be can and converse between the hobbyists!

steve24

Originally Posted by Jerthunter
Elyria

maybe i could get a frag or two in the future, my tank just finished its cycle, so it would be awhile... thanks

jerthunter

Thanks!!!
Just a quick question for others with Xenia.. Does your Xenia pulse all the time or most just in the evening? Mine pulses a little durning the day but it pulses like crazy just after my daytime lights go off.

evanish

steve24- If you join NORA, Northwest Ohio Reef Association, which is free of charge, you can buy frags from our club frag tank for $10 each or trade a frag for another one. Let me know and ill give you the site info and ect.

xrayman

Mine pulse like cazy all day while lights on and slow down after that from what i have read on here that some pulse like crazy and some don't.

monalisa

I just got a xenia colony (5 heads) today. I've been keeping a close eye on my new little ones, and so far 4 of the 5 heads are pulsing, acting normal and are just plain awsome!! I've turned the rock twice now to see if I can get more flow going on that back placed head...I think I may finally have it...we'll see in a couple of days.
BTW, I also put a rock of green polyps and mushrooms in. They opened almost immediately after going into the tank and are absolutely beautiful!! I also ordered a new light fixture today...finally going metal halides...can't wait for those to arrive and figure out how to acclimate everyone to them...it's been a GOOD weekend!!! :cheer:
The following pics are under actinics...sorry for the quality, and well, really, my zenia is not looking as happy as I would like her to...time will tell ***) ***)
Lisa :happyfish

jerthunter

Good news, after only 1 week my xenia stalk has started to split, I tried to get a picture but it didn't turn out well since the split was in front to back. I also have noticed two very small new stalks growing near the main stalk so hopefully they continue to grow.
Another interesting thing is that I read a post from 2003 and 2004 about using Xenia as a nutrient export so I am thinking that is an extra bonus!