Just another newbie tank stocking question?

tcook21

ok I apologies for starting another of these "is this ok for my tank" post but I would really like your advice. :help: :help:
ok I have a 26 or 29 gal bowfront glass tank. I bought this tank used so I am not sure of the size. I did have my koi in it till I moved them to the pond outside about 2 years ago. I keep it up and running empty for about 6 month and then I took it down and it has been empty since then. I still have the filter and such from that tank that hangs on the back it was rated for like 40 or 50 gal. (I bought it new) so I think it should work for a saltwater tank....maybe? I will need to buy some power heads I believe. so here it goes.
I am planning on 20-30# LS And 20+# LR (smaller chunks so I can make more caves for the fish)
Fish
I would like to have
1 True Percula Clownfish
1 Gold Stripe Maroon Clownfish
1 Either a black and white or Clarkii Clown
1 blue damsel or a Royal Gramma
1 Sunset Wrasse - Thalassoma lutescens (this guy is the reason for getting into the hobby
saw one in a large tank somewhere I had to look for a while before I could find what he was called)
I plan to set up the tank and let it cycle for 6-8 weeks (thinking of getting uncured rock since this is a new tank and I can cure it in the tank and its a little cheaper) after this I would introduce the 3 clown fish at the same time. I have read that you can't keep more then one kind of clown in a tank un less they are mated pairs? if so I would go with no dam or gamma and get a pair of gold stripe and pair of Clarki clowns. if I can have one of each clown then I would add the dam/gamma two or three months after the clowns. three months later I would add the wrasse. I would get smaller fish the 1-2 inch size (2-4 for the wrasse) and I am planning to get a larger 46 gal tank around 6-9 months after that depending on fish size. with another tank increase to a 100-150 about 9 months or so after that ( I will reuse the smaller tanks as a sump and fuge for the big one) I will increase sand a live rock as the tanks get bigger. I don't think I will do much coral till I get the 46 gal. at least. so to start it will be a FOWLR. ok so now I am ready for your comments.....yes go for it
??? no
:scared: that's all wrong all are welcome ....but remember I am really new to this thanks.

S

sinner's girl

I plan to set up the tank and let it cycle for 6-8 weeks (thinking of getting uncured rock since this is a new tank and I can cure it in the tank and its a little cheaper)
There is no set time frame for cycle, once your levels are good, it's cycled, though 6-8 should be good. do a water change to lower nitrates before adding fish.
after this I would introduce the 3 clown fish at the same time. I have read that you can't keep more then one kind of clown in a tank un less they are mated pairs?
can't mix clowns in small tanks...
you can get ONE pair of clowns, not two pairs or three different kinds...at least from what I've read.
and adding 3 fish to a new tank, that small is risky imo.
three months later I would add the wrasse.
You don't have to wait 3 months... 4 weeks is fine, just check your levels before adding fish.
imo, too many fish, but that's just me.
SWF set up faq

bawood

You may want to reconsider using a prior used filter, I'm not familiar with the topic, but it may not be a good idea to use a used filter setup like that. Also you're stocking a little heavy in my opinion. I'd recommend getting a strong skimmmer to even get close to that many fish. Also get a few powerheads to have minimum dead spots with a decent stocking. It may be best not to get more than 3-4 fish till you upgrade
I wouldn't mix the clowns, clowns can be pretty aggressive with one another. I'd recommend you pick one species of clown only and that if you get a pair that you get a matched pair. Picking two clowns at random, even the same species, can result in fighting. Especially in a smaller tank, it'd be less of a concern in a 100 gallon, especially if they've hosted and don't stray far.
Adding three fish to a small tank at once can cause a spike in your levels so you should reconsider that.
Also I'd skip the blue damsel, they're pretty and easy to care but relatively agressive.
A good start would be your cleaner crew and the wrasse and one pair of matched clowns.
Then as you upgrade consider your options.
B

fishmamma

HI! Your filter should work fine, consider adding a good skimmer too, very beneficial in a tank that size. Your fish list is not going to work. Maroons are quite agressive so the true percula (single or a pair) would be the best bet out of your clown list. There are a few wrasse that will stay small enough to live happily in a tank that size. Royal Gramma would also be a good tank mate to a clown. I think you will end up wanting more LR, it doesn't seem to go very far. I have about 40 pounds in my 16 gallon bow but it was slowly added to after the intitial set-up of about 26 pounds. After the tank has been cycled with the live rock add one or two fish at a time, three would be too many. You could also buy reg. sand and seed it with a few pounds of live from a tank at LFS or just wait for the LR to mkae it 'live' over time- that would save you some money and most bagged 'live' sand is a scam IMO. Have fun, read up and enjoy your new hobby!!

tcook21

Thanks For the replies so far. :jumping:
I thought that trying to keep more then one type of clown would be a problem
in such a small tank. but I wanted to see what other people thought as I like clown fish maybe when I get the 100-150 I can get a second pair?( hate to wait that long I like how clown's look) so I will go with one mated pair of clowns (either maroon or clarkii) one royal gramma added 4 weeks later and the wrasse. added after that.I want add him last so I have the longest time before I need to upgrade my tank due to his size. from what I have read the wrasse needs to be in a 80 gallon tank at least when he is grown so that is why I am adding him last so I can upgrade my tank as he grows.
The LFS says that I can reuse my current filter until I go to the 46 gal. I will need new media and I think a skimmer would be good idea as well but I was not sure if I need one on such a small tank.
Please any more comments? :thinking:
T.

fishmamma

If you go with a pair of maroons plan on switching them to the larger tank as well, they get quite large and need more than 26 gallons.

S

sinner's girl

I don't have a skimmer, I had a 55gl and now a 75gl, but I'm a black sheep it seems, I have a HOB filter, but I have lots of lr, and a very small bioload.
if the filter is rated for the larger tank, then use it. the fliter on the 55gl is 30-60, no problems (when it was salt...freshwater's another story)
sunset wrasse 11.8inch max size, I just get a pic and basic info, no min tank requirement in Marine Fishes, pretty fish.

omgsaltwat

1 blue damsel or a Royal Gramma. I would not out the damsel in I would get the Royal Gramma. I had one Damsel and it keep stressing my other fish.......JMO

tcook21

all of my fish will be moving up to the larger tanks as i get them. when i get the 46 my 26 will become a QT and later a place to start my corals for the 100-150 maybe get smaller frags and let them grow i would rather get a really nice small frag and let it grow then get a so so lager one. the 46 i plan on useing it as a sump for the 100-150 and the 26 will be my QT i plan to add more lr as i find nice peices and cash flow permits. i won't add more fish to my tank till i get the final tank so i will only have the 4 fish in both the 26 and 46 tanks. mated pairof clowns, gramma and the wrasse. with a good clean up crew. i want to get the fish as small as i can i like to watch them grow (i enjoy seeing how big they get like with my koi outside that i started in the 26 gal. tank.)
Thanks for all the input i look forward to getting this tank started. As soon as i get it up i will post some pics. gonna be a month or so as i do more reasearch and get my ducks in a row.
T.

tcook21

one more Bump and i will let this one go.
from all the veiws and no new comments. i think i am on the right track now i would like to thank all of you who took your time to comment on my planed tank i will post pics as soon as i get the cycle under way.
i am thining of setting up a web page so i can share my triumphs and pitfalls as i start this new hobby. may be a webcam so you can see vid of my tank.
Thanks
T. :hilarious