Just Aquascaped my nano!

pixelfish

SO I have a former thread about my Orca TL-450 Nano 13g. You guys recomended and helpe dme out with a few things so I just bought some live rock and sand finally yesterday and now I just aquascaped and the sand settled down and I took some pics I hope you all enjoy!
- ALSO reguarding my other thread -
When I bought the live rock it came witha little crab I cannot Identify maybe you guys can help me out =)
I also took off the seaweed type stuff off of my rock weather it was good for my tank or Not I am unsure, but it looks like crap so now its gone. maybe you can identify what type of seaweed or algae .
Finally I can start my cycle

mboswell1982

tank looks very nice man, the crab im not sure on, are his claws pointy or rounded? an the algae looks like some kinda macro algae, just not sure which one lol

pixelfish

Originally Posted by mboswell1982
http:///forum/post/2938395
tank looks very nice man, the crab im not sure on, are his claws pointy or rounded? an the algae looks like some kinda macro algae, just not sure which one lol
Well I pulled him back out of his little isolated chamber, and inspected it lind of looks like his claws are more pointed I would say

spanko

Black tipped pointy claws are usually not a good sign. I would take him to the LFS. The algae looks like Caulerpa taxifolia to me. An extremely invasive algae. You did well to pull it out. However when you did that you did not get it all. It has little shoots the come out from the vine in different places to attach to the rock. Each of these will grow a new vine. Was the algae confined to one pc. of the rocks you bought? If so you would be best off to take that rock out and either cook it or take it back to the LFS and get a pc. without any on it.

pixelfish

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/2938457
Black tipped pointy claws are usually not a good sign. I would take him to the LFS. The algae looks like Caulerpa taxifolia
to me. An extremely invasive algae. You did well to pull it out. However when you did that you did not get it all. It has little shoots the come out from the vine in different places to attach to the rock. Each of these will grow a new vine. Was the algae confined to one pc. of the rocks you bought? If so you would be best off to take that rock out and either cook it or take it back to the LFS and get a pc. without any on it.
well I will have to deal with the pieces I have ha-ha I got alot of the roots I was using needle nose plies to get them out perfectly ther are still a few nubs that I missed when they start to grow I will just keep weeding them out. What other method is there to rid the algae?
I am stationed In korea and I had to travel from one end of korea to the other end to find the fish store town. and they are retarded here i swear. I got so ripped off on this live rock.I payed for this rock out the yinyang, but it was worth it I suppose. It was the only pieces with any color on em SO I kind of had no choice. The dude wanted to sell me one turbo snail for 10 bucks.. None of the stores have blue leg hermit crabs I dont know what I am goign to do for my livestock or Inverts =/
all their corals seem to look nice so i will be ok that part. They are crazy koreans 90 % of them had like 10 gal nano tanks with 6 -10 fish in them and the tanks looked perfectly fine ha-ha I am talking like blue tang/yellow tangx2 clowns firefish corals all in one 10 gal like it was nothing

spanko

Tis the way over in that part of the world. They do things that seem totally unacceptable over here and they have beautiful tanks. I wish there were more members from that part of the world on here so that we could pick their brains on their methods. Unfortunately whenever I do see someone try to join in they are harassed to the point of just leaving. Too bad, IMO, that sometimes we are not more open-minded to things that are out of the norm for us. Who knows we could even learn something, heaven forbid!

pixelfish

http:///forum/post/2938504
Tis the way over in that part of the world. They do things that seem totally unacceptable over here and they have beautiful tanks. I wish there were more members from that part of the world on here so that we could pick their brains on their methods. Unfortunately whenever I do see someone try to join in they are harassed to the point of just leaving. Too bad, IMO, that sometimes we are not more open-minded to things that are out of the norm for us. Who knows we could even learn something, heaven forbid!
Yeah they are pretty crazy with the things they can do with the bare minimum. This fish store area is the bigest in korea and its about 35 fish stores all lined up on one block in Seoul. This was teh best looking rock I could find. Is that algae going to ruin my tank? If anyone knows about a store that can ship snails and hermits over seas to a APO Box let me know =)

pixelfish

subielover;2938534 said:
The algae could certainly wreak havoc. I would cook the rock.[/QUOTE
so what will cooking the rock do? and how do I cook the rock ha-ha how long what temp? will it hurt any other parts of the liverock?

dobber1111

http:///forum/post/2938457
Black tipped pointy claws are usually not a good sign. I would take him to the LFS. The algae looks like Caulerpa taxifolia
to me. An extremely invasive algae. You did well to pull it out. However when you did that you did not get it all. It has little shoots the come out from the vine in different places to attach to the rock. Each of these will grow a new vine. Was the algae confined to one pc. of the rocks you bought? If so you would be best off to take that rock out and either cook it or take it back to the LFS and get a pc. without any on it.

Erm... What's wrong with a crab with black pointy claws? Please expound.

spanko

Pointy claws are in most cases the carnivores and the claws are designed to dig into things to get the meat out.

pixelfish

ha-ha well its too lat ethe crabster is gone lol I ditched him a day ago lol.
I hope the algae will be ok I seem to have gotten probably 95% of it out. even pulling the little rootlings from the cracks in the rocks.
SO now I should just what wait two weeks test the water and then start adding some stuff?

pixelfish

http:///forum/post/2940897
test everday :p
ha-ha wow every day? crap i will run outta test strips in two months. Ill do a test when I get back from the feild I will be out for 4 days my g/f will be taking care of the lights for me. what should I test for to know if the tank is ready?
when can I add some hermits and stuff you think?
gah Iam stoked to finally have some LR in there

mboswell1982

if you can get your hands on one, get away from the test kits, get a api or red sea or if you can afford em, tunze an salifert test kits, an for now, all you need to worry about is ur ph, ammonia, nitrite an nitrate, and your salinity levels as well

pixelfish

http:///forum/post/2940955
if you can get your hands on one, get away from the test kits, get a api or red sea or if you can afford em, tunze an salifert test kits, an for now, all you need to worry about is ur ph, ammonia, nitrite an nitrate, and your salinity levels as well
coool well I ordered and recieved a red sea reef master test kit and it has pretty much all of those you mentioned so I should be good. I will hit up a test next week for all of them and show ya what levels I got goin on.
For now I am off to bed I get to go play army up at the DMZ for 4 days yay...

pixelfish

Originally Posted by Pixelfish
http:///forum/post/2941557
coool well I ordered and recieved a red sea reef master test kit and it has pretty much all of those you mentioned so I should be good. I will hit up a test next week for all of them and show ya what levels I got goin on.
For now I am off to bed I get to go play army up at the DMZ for 4 days yay...
YAY!!! I m back home =) It was very very cold up there ha-ha.
I will be posting my test results hopefully tonight I will do amonia and also the salinity. Any other recomendations for now?
Also- I noticed what looks like to be some sort of little cucumber or something and a few tiny snails and feather dusters I hope that is a good sign
I am kinda worried about the cucumber/worm lookign thing he is a rdish orange color if I can remember I will try and get a pic tonight.
Let me know with any Ideas

nanomantis

Get the crab out. Its some kind of stonecrab. It will capture and eat your fish. Hell, I'd say leave the calurpa in there. It looks good in a large clump and helps keep your tank clean by consuming massive ammounts of nitrate/phosphate. All you will need to do is get a couple emerald crabs if you grow tired of it. However, if you groom it occasionally it will be fine.
Also, when you start seeing a good bit of algae growing all over the place you are nearing the end of your cycle. Thats when you should probably start testing for NH3/NO2