just built a sump!

hoycetee

well i just finished building my sumpthis weekened. it 48" * 15" * 16" tall. fuge well be on the right and skimmer on the left and my return well be in the middle. i'll have my overflow then t-ing off to 2 pipes 1 to the skimmer and 1 to the fugedepartments with ball valves on each.
well my tank is 125g and sump when running well hold around 30g give or take
question is what do you guys think i should run for size for overflow(gph)?

i was looking at a either the 800gph or 1200gph with a mag-drive water pump let me hear your opinions thanks

hoycetee

thanks
i was just looking for other opinions before i go out and spend money like peoples expeirence or what ever

racin1126

That sump looks great I am also in omaha and I am having a hard time finding a good place for plexiglass that dont charge a ton. You have and sugestionson were to go. I am in northwest Omaha

funkyman

Most people will try to maximize their flow potential by getting a pump that will do a little less than what the overflows can handle. You will need to start with whatever GPH your overflow is rated for, and work backwards. Don't forget to factor in head, and flow loss from t's, elbows, number of outputs etc.......

hoycetee

well i got my overflow(cpr 1200gph) and pump(mag 9.5) in mail yesterday. i just finished seting it up with all my plumbing done now and its working awesome! but still need to fine tune it. i have 2- 1" pipes running from overflow and 1 1/2" return and it does the job well. now i need to stock my refugium, and put my skimmer in but i thought i'd give an update and post a few picks after finally getting my sump running

bchbum189

what did you use to cut the teeth design into it? Ive had the hardest time doing it to mine, looks great by the way

hoycetee

Originally Posted by racin1126
That sump looks great I am also in omaha and I am having a hard time finding a good place for plexiglass that dont charge a ton. You have and sugestionson were to go. I am in northwest Omaha
i went to midwest plastics and suffered the price but a lot cheaper then buying one and you can make it to your standards

hoycetee

Originally Posted by bchbum189
what did you use to cut the teeth design into it? Ive had the hardest time doing it to mine, looks great by the way
where the bottom of my teeth are i drilled a hole then took my jigsaw and cut straight to it and it got the job done

bchbum189

what type of blade? a metal blade with alot of teeth, cause i cant find locally any blades for plastic and acrylic

hoycetee

Originally Posted by bchbum189
what type of blade? a metal blade with alot of teeth, cause i cant find locally any blades for plastic and acrylic
well i had a few blades on hand and teat cut with all of them to see what had the smoothest cut, but the one i used is a finer tooth blade, but i also adjusted the cut pattern and speed on my jigsaw to get smoothest cut, i guess if you have scrap make alot of cuts to see what your smoothest one is hope that helps you

hoycetee

Originally Posted by eaglefan
Very nice work, and thanks for giving me some ideas
thanks, it was my first time with all this and now i have so many more ideas from finally doing it myself, i can't wait till i stock this tank up so i can go back to my 120g just sitting in storage, then have two tanks running

sleasia

Your tank looks great and so does your sump. whats hanging on the tank glass? a mag float with thermometer? do they work good as thermometers? I just finished my dyi wet-dry filter. I had an amiraclemr300 and it frustrated the h out of me because my skimmer was too big and blocked the chemicle trays and also required a water level which was actually too h-gh for the filter. So I built a very easy wet-dry out of a 50 gallon sterlite tub I got from target for 12$. the bioballs sit in another smaller tub which sits on top of the 50 gall tub and I used eggcrate held in place by notched pvc pipe-braces. I used one of the amiracle filter's bulkheads. Mine runs with a panworld pump. Its pretty strong and I have to close it back with ball valves or it will blow my returns out into outerspace. People say you can use sterlite, so I hope they are right. The beauty of DYI is getting exactly what you want and in the size you want and building in the convenience of the easy take apart factor.

S

savage21

Im putting my 125 in the wall also. can you post a pic of the back of the tank? also did you do any braceing for the ceiling??

hoycetee

Originally Posted by savage21
Im putting my 125 in the wall also. can you post a pic of the back of the tank? also did you do any braceing for the ceiling??
its in my basement and its a non load bearing wall otherwise you would have to brace it during construction and throw up a header
heres a couple pics i took, the front of my tank is in hallway and you can see through to my room where the back will actually be my head board to my bed once i finish making my doors to sump access and the top cover which i'm thinking about doing kinda like shower curtains or a removable panel the size of the hole not sure yet :thinking: but i have to trim the back side around tank yet, and raise my bed up so its almost at the bottom of my tank, which my bed will be on wheels so i can get to sump easy,

i also use a piece of insulfoam that has a blue skin surface on one side of it that i put up on back side of tank for privacy since you look into tank and see my bed, i don't want to put on free shows for anyone now