Just call me STUPID!!

chris l

I have just done about the dumbest thing I have ever done when it comes to reef keeping. I was doing my 10% water change this morning and not even thinking when I was doing it. My water level in my refugium dropped below my heater. And of coarse the heater kicked on and made a LOUD pop. I couldn't figure out at first what it was so I just started unpluging anything I could find until I relized that it was my heater. Scared the s*** out of me. I just had my heater out the other day adjusting it and didn't put as low as I had it before. Hard lesson learned. I think everything is ok, at least for now. Wish me luck. Well gotta go make a trip to the lfs to buy another heater.

fusd71

Go to Wal Mart. Heaters are about 10 bucks cheaper and the one by me has alot of different brands.

hairtrigger

Man... I learned the hard way too. I smelled a stench... next thing I know, my heater exploded and shot glass everywhere. That's when I went out and bought three new double paned marineland heaters. And the plastic guards on top of that. :D

hairtrigger

Naa, I didn't lose anything but the heater and my stomach. I went straight to the LFS immediately. As long as the temperature doesn't fluctuate more than 5 degrees either way too quickly... the fishies should be cool.

Try a titanium heater next time. It avoids that problem altogether. I have done that on my fresh water tanks, but thankfully never on my reef. I now have titanium heaters in all 5 of my tanks both fresh and salt.

hairtrigger

No kidding huh? I don't know much about those. Give us a little insight if you would. Price, and just a general overview. That sounds promising. :D

P

pa reef pig

ChrisL, Get the best heater you can afford. DONT GO TO WALMART! They will not have a great selection. Get a submersible heater that turns off when it is exposed to air. This will prevent those mishaps.

chris l

What brand turns off when exposed to air. I was using a submersible Visatherm and never had any problems except this.

chris l

Reefpig, I was gonna drive to Lancaster (I am sure you know which place) and get one but man that is a 1 1/2 hour drive for me. No lfs around here that are any good with prices.

hairtrigger

Wow, Wal Mart sells titanium? Now... is does that advocate titanium heaters, or cheapen them like most of Wal Mart's pet supplies. The only supplies I get from walmart are feeders and dechlorinator. and that's when every other place is closed. :D

eng50

Titaniums are a solid metal tube with a remote thermostat..worked good for me so far, I like the idea that it wont shatter..and the ability to adjust temp from a spot convienent for me! They are priced about the same as the glass visi-therms I think. The only caution I would have for you, because I have done it, is put the temp controler away from everything, I adjusted my PS and hit the temp controller by accident, didn't know it and 2 hours later my tank was at 75 deg, glad I caught it!! Didn't loose anything but learned a good leason to pass on!! Otherwise they are great and would definately recommend them. Would be nice if the manufacturer would put some type of stop or safety on the dial though...

broomer5

Titanium heaters - no glass to break is one big advantage.
The biggest PLUS I see using them - no moving parts.
They are SOLID STATE, and there is less chance of them "sticking" on compared to traditional tank heaters.
I've replaced my heaters with Titanium heaters too.
I use the snap on heater guards for added protection.

chris l

Well I am on my way for a 1 1/2 hour ride to the pet store. I will look into buying a titanium heater if the price is right. Wish me luck!!

saltyrich

My best advice is to buy the BEST heater, which in my opinion is an EBO Jager heater. They are by far the best made and most accurate heater made. Don't believe me? Check out most of the sharks on this board (equipment signatures) and see what people that have been reefkeeping for years use. It encorporates pyrex glass (2x thicker than any other glass - this stuff is solid I assure you), and has .5 degree settings. You cannot beat German glass IMO. AND, it is just as affordable as the crap at WALmart. You can get them anywhere online and they are very affordable. I got a 150 watt for $15!!!! Wal mart can't top that in terms of the quality or the price IMO.

jonthefb

salty, i agree. i have been using the ebo-jager for some time now and it has never failed me. definatley a great product and about the only decent heater we sell at the lfs that i work at! althought the titanium ones you all are talking about do sound intriguing!
good luck
jon

chris l

This sucks!!! I just went and bought the titanium heater by Jalli. Drove all that way and got home to find my wife in a panic. I used a rope light for the moonlight effect and aparently while I was gone my one halide melted it and it fell into the water. When my wife lifted the canopy to take it out of the water she got shocked and my 15w NO light fell into the water and burnt up. The NO fell on top of my Acro. and broke a bunch of branches off of it and now it looks like my corals aren't gonna make it. Will the shock of the light kill them. If it does I give up. I can't even believe the day I am having.

chris l

Thanks broomer. Now to top it all off my nerves are shot and I can't keep from getting sick. So trying to work on my tank and keep my lunch down isn't easy:eek: