Just Came Outta No Where

fishieness

most likely not algae.
probably diatoms that are common occurences in tanks that:
-are new
-use tap water (included "treated" water)
-were recently upgraded to better lights
-near a window
-contains silicates
-ect.

jdecter

if you have "default" or "free with new tank purchase" florecent lamps on your tank they usually tend to be purplish in color which give more of a red color array in lighting spectrum which brown algae needs to grow.
I learned all this just last week when I noticed my tank getting a nice coating of brown algae on all the top layer of my rocks and sand and CC.
I was running my hood that I got free with the tank about 12 hours a day, basically as the sun came up and down, to give the damsels i put to cycle the tank a natural day cycle.
I've sinced cut back to about 8 hours max a day and the algae hasn't grown any.
After I finish cycling in the next few weeks I plan to get my cleaning crew started. Tangs and snails love algae and a huge list of crustacians and anything else you might be interested can easily keep your tank clean of algae.

maxalmon

Yes, check you lighting and use RO water if possible. Sounds like it's time to add some turbo snails and or blue leg hermits, trust me the snails will do an incredible job at cleaning everything up.

fishieness

Originally Posted by ReefRobert
Hey fishieness, I have a new tank, i use water conditioner, is it possibly that bad? :thinking:
tap water conditioner doesnt do all that good IMO. But if you plan to do a reef tank, you will absolutly need to filter your water with an RO unit or a DI, or even better, a combinationn of the two.

autojunkie

heh, well it is relativly new (a few months). Its Metal Hallides but it is tap water. I have an RO unit but i need to hook it up. My blue legs ate all my snails! So im goign to remove the culprit blue leg and buymore snails, switch to RO , and try to a a refugium with some macro algae to lower trates... Anything else I can do?