just converted my 75 to saltwater

jordan01gts

Yesterday I drained and cleaned my freshwater tank, and converted to saltwater. I used about 70 lbs of live argonite sand, I filled the tank added conditioner, and then added instant ocean salt mix. I know that it will take some time for it to cycle, is it normal to have cloudy water, and if so how long.

slice

If the cloudiness is from the sand being stirred up, yeah, normal. My tank, when initially filled, took about 3 days to clear up, and that was after rinsing the sand well.
As for info on the cycle, and other start up concerns is here:
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/forum/thread/264597/a-list-of-extremely-helpful-threads-for-all-hobbyists
(unfortunately a few of the links are dead)
cycle specific info here:
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/forum/thread/116184/saltwater-aquariums-101-the-cycle
oops, almost forgot
Welcome to the site!

jordan01gts

The sand I bought said do not rinse. Should I have rinsed it anyways? The other question I had or not really a question was that the instant ocean says half a cup of salt to 1 gallon if water, so it takes 37.5 cups for my tank, just seems like alot, I'm new to this so it just surprised me how much salt it takes I

slice

Oops, sorry, you said you used LIVE sand. You are correct, no rinsing of LIVE sand.
Yeah, half a cup per gallon is correct for initial mixing, but you MUST use a hydrometer or preferably a refractometer to check proper salinity.
Don't rely on a mixture, you must measure and adjust if needed.

jordan01gts

Well last night I only added 30 cups of salt, I didnt want to add to much, I checked it this morning with a hydrometer and at 76.7 degrees it read inside the parameters suggested, ill have to go buy a refractometer to correctly check it. Also what is a good temp setting to be setting my tank to on a FO tank

slice

You are quickly approaching the extent of my competency. Some of the experts will hopefully happen by shortly.
It sounds like you mixed the salt in the tank, which is fine for the initial filling. From now on, you will want to mix it in a bucket or other container. There are posts on best practice for doing this. The "How do I do a water change" thread linked above covers this.
Note that your 75g tank will have less than 75g of water once sand, rock and other items are added to the tank.
One more thing, you said you "added conditioner" to the water. Did you use tap water? Some say that is OK for initial filling (I did this too), but you may wish to consider a better water source in the future. Water source issues are also linked above in the "helpful threads" list.

J

jstdv8

Slice is giving good info. I'll see if I can add :)
1.) Strongly reccomend getting your own RO/DI water purification unit. you can get them for as little as $100.00 for a decent one with low Gallons per day output. this is crucial for two reasons.
a.) you want to have pure water otherwise things that come in from tap water will slowly contaminate your tank and you may always have nasty things like cyano growing in there, not fun.
b.) its nice to have your own filtration so you can make water when you need it, don't have to go to the store to get it, initial cost is higher, but overall very cost effective in the long run. Especially handy to have in emergencies when you may have to do a good sized water change becuase of equipment failure or something you may have done wrong.
2.) Be sure to get your live rock that you need for the tank prior to beginning your cycle.
you should have between 1 - 1.5 Lb's of LR (live rock) per gallon of tank water. So in your case about 75 lbs. the live rock is very porus and therfore has alot of surface area for the bacteria to grow on which will help to complete your cycle. if you add rocks later they may cause ammonia spikes which will start a mini cycle and be very hard on your livestock.
3.)Strongly suggest a protien skimmer for the beginners. they process leftover foods and waste before it can breakdown and become ammonia.
4.) Get all your own test kits (this should have been #1) you will need test kits for ammonia, nitirtes, nitrates, high range PH at the very least.
5.) patience... this is probably the number one thing that seems to go wrong with most first timers. they eitehr don't know about the cycle at all or can't wait the month or so that it takes to fully complete. add livestock, livestock dies, they come back asking why thier nemo died. Just weait it out. as we've all been told several times.... Nothing in Saltwater happens fast.
6.) when you get all set up and would like advice on livestock lits, rock formations, filtration, ect ect do ask away :) ohh and I've found out the hard way... no matter how good you think your tank looks, people are going to tell you " Pictures of it didn't happen"

dmanatee

so how is your tank doing now? Have you started to research or purchase live rock? Also what type of hardware (filters/power heads/etc...)are you thinking about getting. I love following these threads as we all had to start out at stage one at least once.

jordan01gts

The water cleared up in about 3 days, just took some water tests, ph 8.0, ammonia .25, nitrite .50, nitrate 20. Im sure these are normal readings for the start up if a saltwater tank, right? Right new I'm running a marineland 360 cannister, aqua clear 30 powrrhead. I haven't decided on live rock yet because its a big investment right now

deejeff442

curious did you put the sand in then water then add salt?
looks like normal readings for a mid cycled tank.not for a tank 3 days old.
you need more flow in there look at the koralia #3 or #4 maybe 2 of them.
live rock will always be the best filter system in any salt tank.
also agree although i dont run skimmers they are almost a necessity for beginners.newbies tend to over feed.

jordan01gts

I added salt while adding the water, I was planing on ordering another power head, I'll probably pick up one of those. Will I have problems if I get some live rock now and then add to it later?

kylev

You can get it now and then add to it later you would just need to cure the new rock first. Theres a few good threads on it you basically put it into a seperate heated container with flow and take it through its own sort of cycle process.