Just fragged my Ricordea

hot883

So the other day I noticed that a large 3" or so ric. was starting to crawl off the rock colony that has 4-5 others. It finally moved all the way off and onto the sand. I pulled him out and sliced him up yesterday and mounted the 4 pieces on some shells that I had in the tank already. Notice the corraline on the shells. There is only 3 pictured but I made 4 pieces. Just wanted to share.

hagfish

4 pieces huh? Did you keep the mouth in each piece? I've done 3 pieces by cutting the head off (stalk grows into a new one) and cutting the head down the middle.

hot883

Originally Posted by hagfish
4 pieces huh? Did you keep the mouth in each piece? I've done 3 pieces by cutting the head off (stalk grows into a new one) and cutting the head down the middle.
No, I cut right down through the mouth twice making 4. Any portion of it will make the new piece grow.

gasman4433

Down the road post some pics of how they turn out.I have some I been wanting to do that to but am not brave enough to try it.

hot883

I sure will. I will post some pics. of the ones I have done in the past. Very simple, wear gloves, new straight edge razor and slice away.
All the shrooms you see in these pics. I fragged. The mother colonies are to the right more just out of the pic.

puffer32

How did you get them to stick onto the shells? I have no luck doing this because of them being so slimy. I tried putty and super glue gel, and they kept popping off and floating away.

hot883

Originally Posted by puffer32
How did you get them to stick onto the shells? I have no luck doing this because of them being so slimy. I tried putty and super glue gel, and they kept popping off and floating away.
Its great if you can cut them and then put in a dish covered with a net and sand inside or in a protected area as to not get blown around and they will adhere to the sand real quick. (8-12 hrs.) Take them out then and dab with a paper towel to dry the sand and glue away.

hot883

Originally Posted by gasman4433
Do you have a full tank pick.What I see so far looks great.I want to see the whole thing.
Thanks, not a good one but here she is. Oh, and also a pic. of the ric. seperating itself from the colony. It is an all glass rr 125

hot883

Originally Posted by Crox
hot883
Does your Queen angel bother your corals?
She did not bother anything. She cruised the tank wit the yellow tang and hung out with him and ate Nori sheets like crazy. I lost her shortly after the pic was taken.

hot883

hot883
Does your Queen angel bother your corals?
Email me, I have some info. for ya! Barry

sdascher

I have a question for anybody on this subject ..... I recently aquired some blue Fla. Ricordeas and I was cutting a section off of the main rock that had a huge 3-4" ricordea on it and when the rock split ... it tore a one inch section from it .... will it live??? No mouth was involved. That was 3 days ago and it still seems to be alive ....

hot883

Originally Posted by sdascher
I have a question for anybody on this subject ..... I recently aquired some blue Fla. Ricordeas and I was cutting a section off of the main rock that had a huge 3-4" ricordea on it and when the rock split ... it tore a one inch section from it .... will it live??? No mouth was involved. That was 3 days ago and it still seems to be alive ....
It should recover just fine. People say that parts of the mouths are needed for the new piece to grow. I have not found that to be exact science. The coclony in my above post came to me in the snail mail and it took a week. They were very slimy and really crappy. I took a chance and put them in my tank anyway. See what they look like now. Good luck.

hot883

e-mail sent.
did not get it. whats yours, I might still have it, I just don't remember what it is. Ha! Barry