Just got a cleaner wrasse and it dont look good

drpaul84

hey guys just got a shipment from swf.com an one of it was a cleaner wrasse an it looks dead
its just layin on its side not moving an the head part looks white but the rear end is blue color not sure if its normal for this guy not to move at all??? what should i do?

jtrzerocool

how did you acclimate him?
also, make sure you email them and let them know the situation so you can get your credit if the fish does not make it!

drpaul84

im readin on there site that they might play dead so ill drip acclimate him just to give him the benefit of the doubt....hope he wakes up.....if not this sucks!

reefin419

Most definetly acclimate him they dont tend to handle shipping very well at all and should be left in the ocean.......but do acclimate him and see how the little guy responds.

lion_crazz

Cleaner wrasses are definitely a fish that does not ship all too well, and is certainly one that should be left in the ocean because all it feeds on is parasites. Once the parasites are gone, so too, will be the cleaner wrasse (except in very rare circumstances when they actually take to physical food).

petjunkie

They will spin a cocoon and act dead so it may be alive but they don't live long in captivity either way, they are obligate cleaners which means their entire diet is parasites, specifically isopods, not ich like many people seem to think, even ones that take to aquarium food will die in a few months IME.

miaheatlvr

There is sooooo much founded rhetoric regarding C.W. from experienced members and moderators alike but yet they keep selling them EVEN on THIS site! If people dont buy them there wont be a demand for them, therefore no SUPPLY.. tragic IMO

pastor b.

Dear hobbyist, try the drip acclimating method . Sometimes fish can be revived . If not contact swf.com and they should send you another one. By the way ,I've had my cleaner wrasse for almost a year now and its doing fine .It eats ick from my fish . It also eats brine shrimp.spiralina flakes, formula one, and mysis shrimp . I guise I got a good one .

alex4286

well i would think the biggest way you would know is if u see him breathing? If he is, then id try acclimation like normal