just got a snowflake eel need INFO

bioreefer

I am not new to this hobby but I never had an eel before I will give you a rundown on the tank. its a 46 bowfront I have 22 lbs of live rock in there for him well its my frag tank but I have no fish with him so its a spices only tank about 40 lbs of LBS the tank has been running about 4 years water conditions are good and filter is emp 400 as far as feeding goes fish clam sliver sides once every 3 to 4 days and yes I do have the top coverd all of its so am I missing anythings if let me know I thank you now!!!! and I am careful with eel bites. thanks everyone take car!! he is about 14 inches :) (and coral rubble as well)

k9-fish

I thought I had mine secure too. He got into the skimmer.....found him on the floor the next morning. :(

harlequin

the bright side to eels though is that they can stay alive in the air for any where from 6 - 24 hours depending on who you talk to. Mine made 8 (or at least) 8 hours between me seeing it in the tank and seeing it on the floor. If you find your eel on the floor put it back into the tank. If it has been somewhere in that time frame chances are it will wake up. The basically cocoon themselves in body slime and sleep until water wakes them up. Its as if nature knew in advance we would keep them out of the water.

I

irenicus

Make sure your tank has no possible escape routes, that's the key to keeping them. They will wonder around the tank any time they are hungry, insecure, or sometimes they are just bloody curious. A tightly secured hood is a MUST. You do not want him carpet surfing. I've had my SFE for about 2 years and he's big (2 ft). He eats shrimp and silversides.