just got my first "real" tank man...

therealcreel

its a 55 im doing salt with rock on one side onlywith some cool stuff on it and i want cool creatures, not sissy fish.
i know all these wont get along but i would like some of the following:
-shark
-stingray
-octopus
-eels
-lionfish but thats so standard
does anybody know of a site that shows compatibility charts?
anyone ever heard of jellyfish tanks and their compatibility?
i am just getting started so i need a list of basic stuff also. i have the old fluval 303 and its on a stand obviously. lights and a lid. it was my dads old freshwater tamk and now its going salt.
thanks for all you help here and maybe someday ill be able to do the same for someone else.
-Brian

deltablack22

Welcome to the boards Brian... Your gonna have to seriously re-think your stock list man. You could do an octopus by itself, or maybe some smaller lions and a snowflake eel... No sharks, rays or jellies. This tank is way too small for what you are looking for. I recommend using the search feature and browsing the "New Hobbyist" section of these threads to get a better handle on what you want and what is realistic with the equipment you have.

scubaguy

Ok, slow down first this hobby is all about patience. A 55 gallon is not big enough for any of the things you listed. The octopus is a loner and can not have any fish with it unless it is for it to eat. The eel you might get away with a snowflake but not sure. Sharks and stingrays are way out because they need space to swim.
You need a heater, 55 to 110 punds of Live Rock, 1100 GPH to 1375 GPH water turn over, Argonite(sp?) sand for base (2 to 3 inches) and a protien skimmer, saltwater test kit for PH, Nitrate, Ammonia, Nitrite(Basic will need others down the road), a hydrometer but would spend money on refractometer more acurate. I am sure I forgot a few things but this will get you started.

therealcreel

i know the list is rediculous but what are some alternatives, i have been reading and i have plenty of patience. i am not the type of person that would want to put something too big or that needs a lot of room in a small tank. i have a friend of mine that is a seasoned saltwater vet and he will be checking it every couple of days for me.
i had another friend who had lions, a green eel, maybe a tang and a panther gropuper all in a 55-60 bowfront. they were all small but is that overstocked?
i have seen the shark egg sacks in stores, how big does my tank have to be to just raise a shark. i could get a bigger tank or get rid of the fish down the road... or is that being an jerk?
-Brian

deltablack22

You need to go back and edit that last post. You gotta try to watch language on these boards because its deemed a "family forum" and kids get on here too.
Your buddies tank was overstocked. You should do research on the species that you intend to keep and then build your tank around them, especially given the types of things you say that you want in your tank.
Shark eggs turn into sharks which will need at least 220 gallons if not more to raise. What are you really trying to accomplish with a 55 gallon tank? Remember that in the saltwater hobby 55 is a very small tank when you are trying to house aggressive species.

therealcreel

Originally Posted by DeltaBlack22
You need to go back and edit that last post. You gotta try to watch language on these boards because its deemed a "family forum" and kids get on here too.
Your buddies tank was overstocked. You should do research on the species that you intend to keep and then build your tank around them, especially given the types of things you say that you want in your tank.
Shark eggs turn into sharks which will need at least 220 gallons if not more to raise. What are you really trying to accomplish with a 55 gallon tank? Remember that in the saltwater hobby 55 is a very small tank when you are trying to house aggressive species.
thanks for all of the heads's ups's
new here
-Brian

deltablack22

I forgot to add something and then I'm hittin tha rack... A lot of people buy a shark egg thinking they will raise it until it outgrows the tank and then pawn it off on someone else. The reality is that it is difficult to find someone that will take these sub-adults. As you will find, it takes a good bit of money, time, space to keep these animals and those that have it and desire to keep a shark - usually already have one. Just something to think about... I wouldnt waste my time messing with it if you dont plan on keeping it throughout its lifespan.

stdreb27

If your going with something that size, you should really consider, clowns, pigmy angel fish, gobies, maybe a smaller wrasse like a six line and maybe one yellow tang. The fish you list, your 55 gallon would be a good filter for a tank that can handle those sizes of fish. a 55 may been huge considering a 10 gallon tank, what I had before my 180. But It really limits what you can eithically put in there.

nick76

Originally Posted by therealcreel
its a 55 im doing salt with rock on one side onlywith some cool stuff on it and i want cool creatures, not sissy fish.
i know all these wont get along but i would like some of the following:
-shark
-stingray
-octopus
-eels
-lionfish but thats so standard
does anybody know of a site that shows compatibility charts?
anyone ever heard of jellyfish tanks and their compatibility?
i am just getting started so i need a list of basic stuff also. i have the old fluval 303 and its on a stand obviously. lights and a lid. it was my dads old freshwater tamk and now its going salt.
thanks for all you help here and maybe someday ill be able to do the same for someone else.
-Brian
If you want to do an agressive 55, you will be looking at smaller species.
Dwarf Lion, Snowflake eel, a single Pigmy angel, or one of the smaller puffer species (Valentini, saddle, spotted) With fish that size that will grow upwards of 4-5 inches thats pretty much the limit to how many fish(4 or 5 fish) u can have in a 55.

rudedog40

Ok, now I'm confused. I've read this guy's post from the beginning. Exactly what language are you referring to? Calling someone a jerk is offensive? If you call that bad language, you must not get out much.

deltablack22

Originally Posted by rudedog40
Ok, now I'm confused. I've read this guy's post from the beginning. Exactly what language are you referring to? Calling someone a jerk is offensive? If you call that bad language, you must not get out much.

First off, I was giving the guy a heads up so he didnt get banned...
Secondly, did you ever stop and think that the guy went back and edited what he said? Maybe you should take a deep breath and think next time before you try to open your mouth...

therealcreel

for the record "jerk" is a 4 letter word, jk i changed it from poop.
anyways. thanks for all your help.
what do larger tanks cost as far as setup and purchase. i thought 55 was modest but obviously its a starter.
the new guy,
-Brian

stdreb27

for the record "jerk" is a 4 letter word, jk i changed it from poop.
anyways. thanks for all your help.
what do larger tanks cost as far as setup and purchase. i thought 55 was modest but obviously its a starter.
the new guy,
-Brian
Too much, it really depends what you want to do. Do you think that you are really ready to jump in head first. Or is this a played out whim, (whip) might be the wrong word. Your not going to get bored of it? I guess is the question you need to ask yourself. I've got a 180 gallon tank that I've put together shopping for a year, off of classified forums and sites. I'm probably $3500 into this, and I'm sure if I'd purchased everything retail I'd be around 7 or 8 grand and this is for a fowlr tank no corals. If you really want a shark and want to take care of it, your going to need to go bigger than that. So it really just depends what your finances look like, and your degree of interest in the hobby. I don't regret one bit of it. But I'm a little OCD when it comes down to it.

therealcreel

my care level is definately up there, and i am very interested and willing to learn. as i said i have a friend who knows what he is doing that will be looking over my tanks shoulder every other day as long as i need his help. I know its a commitment but i already have a descent amount of stuff. i dont want to sell all of it online like all of the other people that come across free stuff.
i am fishtank
-Brian

oceansidefish

You just have to go about saltwater like you would any other pet.... You would not get a kitten say keep it in a dog kennel and then say. well I get a bigger one or get rid of it when its older... Plan your tank around what you want if you can afford it....If you can't afford it plan what you want around what you got.....
PS. Octo's are a pain to keep and only live about 2 years.

rudedog40

First off, I was giving the guy a heads up so he didnt get banned...
Secondly, did you ever stop and think that the guy went back and edited what he said? Maybe you should take a deep breath and think next time before you try to open your mouth...
Now I see why the kid is saying goodbye, and is leaving this board. With JERKS like you piping off, who needs the headaches.

stdreb27

my care level is definately up there, and i am very interested and willing to learn. as i said i have a friend who knows what he is doing that will be looking over my tanks shoulder every other day as long as i need his help. I know its a commitment but i already have a descent amount of stuff. i dont want to sell all of it online like all of the other people that come across free stuff.
i am fishtank
-Brian
I don't see much of a problem with selling stuff, that is how I built mine. I'd buy some stuff, and sell it for a little more, keep what I wanted. Trade for stuff. If you want a shark tank, sell what you have at a low price, then find what you want. I only had one issue with a seller on classified forums.

deltablack22

Originally Posted by rudedog40
Now I see why the kid is saying goodbye, and is leaving this board. With JERKS like you piping off, who needs the headaches.
You want a box of tissues?

I'm not going to have someone snapping at me for helping someone that is new to the boards and doesnt know the boundaries. I think a rebuttal was the least that I should be afforded for the unnecessary comment you made.

deltablack22

i am fishtank
-Brian
Sorry to spin your thread off topic...
Have you decided on the direction you want to take your 55? Its a good sized tank for a small reef community and you can do a lot of things with it. I think reef tanks are more interesting than bare aggressive tanks anyway...