just got ro/di unit question bout filling tank and...

myfrenlikesu

what's the best way to fill my tank? hook the ro unit traight to the tank and lt it fill slowly n add salt n mix? or should I fill up buckets mix n pour it n my tank. tank size 135gal ro unit 50gal a day. thaks in advance

No - do not mix straight in the tank!!
I fill up my 5 gallons buckets periodically throughout the week and 2 days, sometimes more, prior to doing a water change, I put the RO water in a 35g trash can (specifically for my water changes), add salt, trace elements, calcium, etc.. and place a power head and heater in the water.
I let that run for a BARE MINIMUM of 24 hours while checking levels during the time its running.
I prefer to let that water go for 2 days...
Once it's done, drag it to the big tank and take a hose and attach to the powerhead and run the water into the tank that way.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by myfrenlikesu
what's the best way to fill my tank? hook the ro unit traight to the tank and lt it fill slowly n add salt n mix? or should I fill up buckets mix n pour it n my tank. tank size 135gal ro unit 50gal a day. thaks in advance
Never mix salt in anything containing ANY type of sealife...way too many variables at play.

michaeltx

if its a first fill you can just add it to the tank. are you useing sand in the tank and is it already in or is it a bare bottom tank so far.
Have you done a leak test on the tank?
Mike

myfrenlikesu

it's a bare tank
did a leak test already. no leaks
so it is okay to fill tank with ro water. and mix salt
im going to get live sand tomorrow. and live rocks next weekend.

mie

set up a fifty gallon plus size garbage can in the garage or whatever suits you, run your ro water directly into the garbage can then mix your salt directly in the can keep a heater and power head in the can so the water is always circulating this is the easiest way to do it

michaeltx

either way will work when I first setup a tank with out any thing in I usually do the same thing as the bucket but in the tank. of course after there is sand and stuff in the tank I mix in a bucket so that it doesnt effect the tank .
Mike