Just had an idea!!!

jjboods

Not sure if it would be very good or VERY, VERY bad!! My current tank is a 55 Gallon AGA. 48"x13"x20". I want to build a tank that is 48"x36"x 20" which is 150 gallons. Is there any reason that I cannot disassmble the current tank and use the front and back for the new tank??? That way I only need to purchase the bottom and the sides???

melbournefl

If it were my tank, I'd keep the 55 for a sump and start from scratch on the 150. Besides, this way the critters have a place to live while your getting the 150 up and running.
Just my .02,
Paul

S

sebae0

i would think that going to 36" wide would be to much pressure for the glass at the thickness of your 55gal. your gonna need some thicker glass. jmo

melbournefl

1/2 inch is fine as long as the tnak is no more than 30 inches high. It's the height of the tank that dictates the thickness of the glass needed generally. The only concern with the width or length is the glass bowing. If you frame the glass securely you should have no problems.
just my opinion,
Paul

jjboods

I am thinking that I'd use two braces at the top and frame the top and bottom with a hardwood...probably oak...with a strong joint...maybe a dovetail.

melbournefl

should be fine and a dovetail would look awesome! how about oak on the front and walnut for the sides? I think that is a beautiful combination for a dovetail.
Good luck whatever you try and keep us up-to-date,
Paul

jjboods

The only problem with dovetail is that I'd want to use it when I do the stand too...to keep it consistent. Lots of work!!!! I am actually trying to generate some interest in custom made stands...if anyone is interested. I'll build to the specs(within reason) that people want. Color, size, features, detail, material, etc...

gregzbobo

Dovetails are nice, but get them wet and they will eventually fall apart as the wood drys and shrinks. Finger joints would probably stand up to moisture better than a dovetail would, but they can be a pain to cut. I've never seen a tank with a wooden fram like what you are proposing, so I don't know how it would act over time with the occasional splash of water and it subsequent drying. It COULD eventually warp and break the glass, if you use glass, or bust the seals on glass or acrylic. But like I said, I've no experience with building aquarium frames from wood. As for using the front and rear walls of your 55, the glass would definitely be way too thin. 1/2" glass would probably be good, tempered 1/2" would definitely work.

jjboods

All I would need to do it treat/coat the wood with a 2 part epoxy marine grade poly. I've seen wooden boat hulls covered with the stuff. If they don't warp, I'm sure the tank frame won't with a few splashes here or there.

jjboods

No prob...I do woodworking as a hobby and am a New Yankee Workshop addict. Norm buily himself a little one man boat on one episode. He is the MAN!