just lost everything -__-

mr.clownfish

i moved into a new home and lost almost everything. i still have my hammer coral, frogspawn,a couple of leathers, and a coco worm and they are not looking to well. i lost my favorite pair of gold stripe maroon clowns my favorite 6 line wrasse and my favorite manderin goby along with my breeding pair of skunk cleaner shrimp. i lost all my pom pom pulsating xenia that took over almost all my tank and a couple of leather.
gotta start over!

mrdc

Yikes, how did you make the move wih your tank? Can you think of anything that you might have done wrong?

mr.clownfish

i have no idea what i did wrong!
the only thing i can think of is a heater malfunction.
i removed all the rocks and corals and separated them into different buckets. then i removed the water filling about 20 gals of containers. i took out all the sand leaving a bare bottom, threw the sand away. i moved everything to the new house, everything looked ok. i had a massive hair algae problem so i threw away like 20-25 pounds of LR. so i had like 15 pounds of LR left, which i put back into the tank and added the same water back. the only thing that was hooked up in my tank was a korilla and a heater. i went back to my old house for the night cause it was the last night, and when i came back my water was VERY blurry and there was a very strong foul smell. all my fish and inverts died. i still have some coral but they are not doing well, i really want to take them to my LFS for credit but my dad is arguing with me saying that they will survive. me being the expert in this hobby, i know for sure they will die.

flower

Originally Posted by Fibinotchi
http:///forum/post/3238066
Sounds like a giant ammonia spike due to removing the liverock and sand.

+1 The old water didn't have the bacteria enough to take care of the bio load by itself. By getting rid of the live sand and so much rock the ammonia was too much, most of the good bacteria were in the sand and on the rock...You had no filtration, a canister or sump? A power head and a heater do not clean up the tank of fish and coral yuck.
I am glad you are going to start over and not give up. What a hard lesson, I hope everyone reading this remembers to keep the rock and sand if they move.

chrisb430

sounds like new tank syndrome to me. You dont have any bio in the tank now by getting rid of the sand, depending how long your filters been unpluged. Sorry for your loss. the same thing happen to me. Just need to start over and recycle your tank and get some bio in the filter and sand.

mr.clownfish

my tank was over 2 years old and for 2 years i didnt change my aqua scape so what ever fell behind the rocks just kinda stood there... LOL.
thats something im gonna change. im gonna buy a smaller korilla to place behind all my rocks to blow everything out from the back.
the reason why i didnt keep my sand was cause of how dirty it was. after moving the tank around a bit the water and sand left turned BLACK, like coal black. i thought removing the sand would be the best thing to do...
i feel so guilty throwing away all my rocks cause i was just begging to see copepods after removing my manderin. my tank was doing great before the move. Another 2 years and it will look great again! but im only doing an anemone tank for now instead of reef. i need a little time

black cobra

I feel for ya man. You didn't lose those clownfish in your avatar did you? Cause that would totally eat a s%@* burger!!!!

mr.clownfish

LOL nooo those are not mine!
if i lost clownfish like that i would go into deep depression, no joke... im the biggest fan of clownfish ever. probably the biggest fan on salt water fish. com!

oceankid

Originally Posted by Mr.clownfish
http:///forum/post/3239020
LOL nooo those are not mine!
if i lost clownfish like that i would go into deep depression, no joke... im the biggest fan of clownfish ever. probably the biggest fan on salt water fish. com!

Lucky clownfish!

mr.clownfish

i turned what i had left for store credit yesterday. i got about 160 bucks. its not much for so much coral -____-, but its better than nothing. i bought 40 pounds of LS and about 12 pounds of LR. again i got ripped off. 80 bucks for the sand, 20 bucks for saltwater and the rest was spent on rocks, about 12 pounds.
i bought my hammer coral for 150 and my frogspawn for 100. my 3 leathers was worth about 120 together. and also i had a zoo rock with 100+ zoos of eagle eyes for 60 bucks. and a few other small rocks of zoos worth about 30 bucks all together.
around 500 bucks all together.