Just opended my new PhosBan Reactor 150!

benj2112

Well, I just opened and took my new PHosBan Reactor 150 out of the shipping box (man was that thing in there tight...I had to CUT the shipping box off of the box the reactor comes in).
I thought I would pass some info about the thing on after reading the instructions and specs.
Capacity: min. 130 grams (250 ml) to max 200 grams (385 ml) of media.
Aquarium size: max up to 150 gallons
Max flow rate: 80gal/hr with 130 grams to 90gal/hr with 200 grams of media.
Hose connections: 3/8 inch
The instructions also say to have a few gallons of saltwater ready so you can pump the initial water that goes through the reactor into a bucket or tub (which will be all dirty from media dust) and then replace that water with your new saltwater.
That is about it. I can't remember if this info has been covered before, but I thought I would post it anyway.
Also, now that I hold this thing in my hand I think it is such a simple design that even I (you should of seen all the screw-ups I had when I made my sump/fuge) could probably build one (for all you DIYers).
Well, I am off to the store to pick up some 3/8 inch tubing as I seem to be out.

druluv

Thanks for the heads Up. Lucky, I'm suppose to have my shipped today. Not leaving the house until its here.

benj2112

Well, I got my tubing and am getting that on.
I am glad they put the media capacity in ml as well as grams as the Rowaphos I have is measured in ml.

caillou

Alright , stupid question but I've never heard of a phosban reactor. I'm guessing it removes the phosphate from your water?

benj2112

It is actually a fluidized bed reactor. The water comes in the top and goes down a tube to the botton. The water then is redirected back up through a different chamber where it flows through media like carbon, phosphate remover or live sand (for more bio filtration). The idea is that the water goes slow enough to flow through the media, but not push it back into the tank (as it isn't in a mesh bag of any kind). Also, for some media (like phosban and Rowaphos = phosphate removal) that don't always work in a mesh bag (get as hard as a brick in short order) this reactor works well for.
Hope I didn't ramble on too long for a simple question.

zanemoseley

man the minimum I'm suppose to put in one is 250ml of ROWAphos? thats half of my 1/2 tub that costs $36, that seems like an awful lot of ROWA, it says on the tub that its suppose to treat 1000-2000 gallons of water, I just got mine today but I'm going on a trip till sunday so I'm gonna hook it up then

benj2112

I guess it is a lot, but then it should last a LONG time I would think. You can just do an occational phosphate test of the water coming out of the reactor and when it starts to read that there is some then it is exhausted. I suppose this might take months (I think the Rowaphos directtions say it could take months to exhaust) with the amount of Rowaphos we have to put in the reactors.

benj2112

Here is a pic of the reactor we are talking about. The water goes down the middle tube and then up the outside tube with the media.

g13

What do you need to get that reactor to run? powerhead, if so how many gph? How are you installing it? What diff options is there to install it to the tank can you hang it on the back of the tank does it have to go in the tank etc.etc.?

benj2112

Like I said in my first post it's max flow is 80 to 90 gph and so that means you need a pump or powerhead that can push that much water (don't forget height and all that stuff that reduces gph). It can hang on tank or on the sump or in the sump.

benj2112

I guess that is what I can think of. I am better with specific questions, personally. If you have any others I will try and answer them. It may be a while as I will be gone for a few hours now, but maybe some of the others that found out about these things a few weeks ago (steveweast's post...my take on phosphates) and jumped on the idea can answer maybe.
Ben

jlm

Thanks, I'm alittle slow with these things sometimes. I do a lot better when I see things first hand.

benj2112

Send me your e-mail and I can give that info or do a search for Phosban Reactor 150 and you should find a site with a monthly special on them ($37.99).
I just got mine fired up!!!

They are right when they say to have something ready to take the water with all the dust in it (just hold outgoing water hose in bucket till water runs clean...about 2 gallons or so for me). That was some dirty stuff. It really sticks to the sides of my bucket.
Sorry, but I don't have a digital camera to show some pics of the thing in working condition.
One other thing. I filled my reactor with about 333ml of Rowaphos, which might be a bit much (just did it as it wasn't maxing out the reactor specs. and easy to judge a 1/3 of my 1000 ml container). Next time I won't put so much in.

benj2112

I have a mag drive 1.5 that wasn't being used for anything. It seems to do fine. I almost have the ball valve all the way open so there isn't much back pressure on the pump.
One thought, the ball valve is real touchy and it might be an idea to switch it with a gate valve. I am trying to fine tune the thing and just a hint of a turn and I start getting to much water going through (and with head pressure the pump shouldn't be able to put more than 80 gph through the reactor...maybe that is caused by almost having a max load of Rowaphos in it). I haven't used a ball or gate valve before, but aren't gate valves suppose to be much better and easier to adjust?

benj2112

Look at the trouble steveweast causes! He says one thing (and we all know what his tank looks like) and suddenly we all jump on the wagon and cause a national shortage of the things before they are even in the stores!

Hey Melody...I see you changed your avatar. I answered your pump question without realizing who you were...guess I am one of those very visually oriented guys.