Just ordered this at swf.com ... is it as small as I think?

vwbortoni

Guys,
I just ordered this green ricordea from this site. How small is a "polyp"? Is it just one of those little arms? Just curious if I just bought something that is too small and won't ever look like the picture there.
Any clues? Thanks... can you tell this is my first coral?
:)

corally

I ordered green rics from here that were about the size of a nickel and orange rics that were about the size of a dime but the orange had 3 polyps.

robpsca

a "polyp" is an entire mushroom. not just one of the bulbs.
i asked the same question lol.
i thought theres now way im payin so much for a little thing like that GRIN
we live and learn

vwbortoni

Thanks for the reponses. How long does it take for a "polyp" to become decent? How quickly do these reproduce? I have a 29G with 130W of PC lights. Do these ricordeas need any food besides lights?

uberlink

I put a single polyp in my tank from swf.com about a month ago. At that time it was maybe the diameter of a quarter. It's now two inches across and has almost completely divided into two. I actually just put two more polyps from swf.com on the same rock on Saturday, because my hope is that they will gradually cover over the whole rock and become a poor man's carpet anemone.
Lighting: I have 130w (half daylight/half actinic) on a 28 gallon tank.
Food: I don't think they really need anything, but I actually will squirt the water from a frozen food feeding down onto them with my turkey baster. May not be worth much, but I don't think it can hurt.
These things are really pretty awesome! Mine has grown like mad, and its color just keeps getting deper and more beautiful.
Good luck!

rgb4136

I just ordered two from SWF and under the heading of "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" I am wondering having read some of the other threads about glueing things on the rocks -- must I glue the Ricordea to the rock?
Appreciate any advice.
Thanks,
RGB4136

socal57che

I got one on some rock I bought and I feed it Advanced Invert. 1 Formula from Marine Enterprises and it seems to love the stuff. I don't know how old it is, but it has one foot, two mouths and is roughly 3" x 4 1/2" in size. Seems to be splitting.