just put my blue tang in my tank

spanko

At least shut the lights off for today and leave them off until the timer would put them on tomorrow. Maybe even cover the tank with a blanket or something to keep the light out.

spanko

Pretty much. You just want to give a new inhabitant a chance to chill without the old homies in the tank seeing and harassing it. If light out fish are for the most part out too.

nanomantis

Yellow tangs tend to be some of the most aggressive, especially when adding new tangs. It is possible that he will harrass the blue tang until it dies. The yellow tang has been in there a while, its his tank and he knows it. Keep your eye on the situation and if the yellow is still attacking him after a week you might have to return one.

juniors04

I put him in yesterday turned the lights off. Turned the lights on today and he was still being a bully. The blue tang stays in a corner where he feels safe. Atleast hes eating so thats a good sign. If this continues im going to put my blue tang back in the quarinteen tank and figure somthing out. Yeah my yellow tang trys to be a boss he even tries to fight my french once in a while and my French is way bigger!

dang

I've not tried this, but heard it works. Take the Yellow Tang out of the tank, and move the rock work around. Move the Yellow tang back in the tank after a day or two. He should think it is a different tank and mellow out.... Hope this helps

renogaw

both are very good ideas, although i'd be more inclined to put the YT into a qt for a couple days, not weeks, and not in the sump for a couple days.
when i put my foxface in, my kole hit it a few times with his scapel... then the foxface hit back with his fins. ever since they've been fine.

spanko

Originally Posted by renogaw
http:///forum/post/3056952
both are very good ideas, although i'd be more inclined to put the YT into a qt for a couple days, not weeks, and not in the sump for a couple days.
when i put my foxface in, my kole hit it a few times with his scapel... then the foxface hit back with his fins. ever since they've been fine.
Ah! Mutually Assured Destruction works to keep the peace!

crypt keeper

I always put in sump. Plenty of room and you dont need to acclimate the fish. That is too much stress IMO that the fish doesnt need. I have tried the couple days. Didnt work. I put my Kole Tang in my sump when i introduced my bicolor. He wouldnt let him be. I returned him all was good. I refuse to move my rocks as I have spent hours and days looking for the correct pieces to set it up as it is now.

juniors04

Ok let me give you guys a update. I did a water change yesterday so i rearanged my rocks. In the process i was able to get both my donimo damsels and my velvet damsel out because they were becoming agressive towards the blue tang as well. So i put the damsels in my medical tank. The yellow is not as agressive anymore but still is when the blue tang gets in his way. hopefully in a few days the yellow will accept him. Here comes a curve ball, The blue tang is showing agression towards my clown fish
he bit some of his tail off i dont understand why i thought blue tangs are peaceful?

renogaw

Originally Posted by crypt keeper
http:///forum/post/3056988
I always put in sump. Plenty of room and you dont need to acclimate the fish. That is too much stress IMO that the fish doesnt need. I have tried the couple days. Didnt work. I put my Kole Tang in my sump when i introduced my bicolor. He wouldnt let him be. I returned him all was good. I refuse to move my rocks as I have spent hours and days looking for the correct pieces to set it up as it is now.
i guess it depends on how big your sump is. in mine, it's a combo fuge and i'd only have a 10x10 area for the fish to stay in.

crypt keeper

Originally Posted by juniors04
http:///forum/post/3057028
Ok let me give you guys a update. I did a water change yesterday so i rearanged my rocks. In the process i was able to get both my donimo damsels and my velvet damsel out because they were becoming agressive towards the blue tang as well. So i put the damsels in my medical tank. The yellow is not as agressive anymore but still is when the blue tang gets in his way. hopefully in a few days the yellow will accept him. Here comes a curve ball, The blue tang is showing agression towards my clown fish%% he bit some of his tail off i dont understand why i thought blue tangs are peaceful?
Those domino damsels will cause much uneeded destruction in your tank. Get rid of them. They are probably the worst damsel in the world. I like damsels. I defend them but these guys are bad.

The yellow just established his pecking order. Eventually the Blue tang will be bigger and the yellow will obey.

deejeff442

yellows are bullys,
i would put him in the sump for a couple days.
i have 4 tangs
when i added my achilles my 5 inch purple came out of the rock and bit him on the side but seeing the achilles is at least 8 inches he just turned and looked at him one time and the purple seemed to figure out fast he is out muscled that was funny to watch.then i added my fowleri same family as the achilles i thought the purple would go at him because he was the same size but the achilles went at him hard for 2 hours ,the fowleri hid in the rocks and came out every 5 minutes or so .by the next day they are all swimming together .my tangs must be weird because they dont seem to hang out in any same spot ever.
i think as long as there is eneough room for them to spread out they will get along.i wouldnt put 4 tangs in a 150 and expect them to be peacefull.

windlasher

Thats my Motto - peace through superior firepower.

I did the same thing. Took him out of the tank, re arranged the rock and then put him back in after a couple days. He is new to the enviroment and now the new guy. They are very protective over there rock work. Hopefully things will work out. gl

juniors04

Hey guys i got good news! The Yellow tang has accepted the blue. The Blue is finally swimming around the tank in peace. Thanks for all the input.