Just saw my Longnose swimming across my tank....WITH MY SIXLINE IN ITS MOUTH

vpotts28

Originally Posted by TriGa22
Is the sixline alive
Yes, once I swung at the LN with the net he released him and the sixline swam off. I fed the tank about 10 mins ago and the 6L darted out and grabbed some food.

vpotts28

Originally Posted by TriGa22
Everything Good?
I don't know I haven't seen the 6L in about 20 mins, but he did eat. The LN was the last fish to be added but has consistently started getting more and more agressive. I have only been feeding the fish every other day, obviously I need to go back to feeding everyday.

groupergenius

I assume your talking about a Longnose Hawkfish?? They can be very aggresive. I have never had a longnose but the spotted I had for a while in an aggressive tank would eat Goldfish like candy. And the goldfish were the same size as the Hawkfish.

vpotts28

Originally Posted by GrouperGenius
I assume your talking about a Longnose Hawkfish?? They can be very aggresive. I have never had a longnose but the spotted I had for a while in an aggressive tank would eat Goldfish like candy. And the goldfish were the same size as the Hawkfish.

The reason I got the longnose is because the books I have read said that it is the least agressive of the hawks. The funny thing is he leaves the invertebrates alone, I would expect him to go after a crab or shrimp before he went after the sixline. But again I think this is because I have been feeding them every other day, because I am battling a small cyano outbreak.

groupergenius

Originally Posted by Vpotts28
The reason I got the longnose is because the books I have read said that it is the least agressive of the hawks. The funny thing is he leaves the invertebrates alone, I would expect him to go after a crab or shrimp before he went after the sixline. But again I think this is because I have been feeding them every other day, because I am battling a small cyano outbreak.
Ha LOL. Only feed me every other day and I'd eat a 6 line too.

vpotts28

The bad thing about it is, I am leaving on vacation tomorrow. My friend is taking care of the tank. I made sure to tell him to count fish everytime he walks by the tank, and to feed everyday.

wangotango

thats weird, i would think that the sixline would go after the hawk since they dont take to well to new additions
. let us know how everything turns out.
-Justin

petjunkie

Yeah they are known for trying to eat skinny fish, I would get one or the other out of the tank asap.

vpotts28

Originally Posted by Lesleybird
Every other day? Most fish like to be feed 2 to 3 times a day.....
I was feeding them everyday, then I had some Cyano breakout. I cut back the feedings to every other day, and cut the lights back. I will continue with the lights, but will begin feeding everday.

vpotts28

Originally Posted by petjunkie
Yeah they are known for trying to eat skinny fish, I would get one or the other out of the tank asap.
Well no book ever told me that, would have been good info 2 months ago

ric maniac

thats weird! i would get the longnose out, and give him back to the lfs for store credit. if he does this to your 6 line, then emagine what he could do to inverts!
-Dirk (i refuse to go to bed!)

zanoshanox

vpotts, don't worry, there's nothing wrong with feeding your fish every other day. But i would switch to everyday for now.

ric maniac

Buying a new longnose hawkfish-$20
buying a new sixline wrasse-$30
watching the longnose hawkfish hawl the 6 line across the tank-priceless

sepulatian

I have a falco which is supposed to be less aggressive. He is a brat. The longnose has a bigger beak to grab fish. They are fine once they are used to their surroundings. They hate all other fish when they first go in and all those added after them. In the mean time they are fine. I had my hawk in with a tiny black ray goby, which maxes out at 2". He went after him at first,then did not bother him. Beng he didn't actually harm the wrassie, I would not worry too much. Have a qt ready though in case the wrassie needs some alone time.

jmesmcm

The longnose will soon be having your shrimp for an afternoon snack. I would suggest getting teh long nose out of there ASAP.