Just saw this bumber sticker!!!

darthtang aw

The bumper sticker read, "The Germans supported their troops also.".
Not sure how I feel about that one., I actually got mad and had thoughts of driving my truck over their little Hybrid. To equate our troops to the SS and Nazis of world war 11 and say the jewish holocaust is no different than what our troops are trying to accomplish made me see red.

lil' tanker

Ya I agree how anti American are those people I say they should have to go to Iraq for a year and see how they feel then!! ingrates!

alix2.0

um... i know im gonna get flamed but... i agree. i dont support this war and i dont support the troops. unless you are drafted and have no choice, i respect someone a lot less when they will vonunteer to kill people, even if its for their country.

crimzy

I think you're missing the point of the bumper sticker... at least my interpretation. I don't think that the sticker is necessarily saying that what we are doing in Iraq is comparable to the Nazis. However, I do think that the sticker is cautioning against blind support of a regime, without questions. We must decide if we believe that our current actions are right before we just blindly run around spouting out that we should support our troops.
I support our troops.... I want them home safe. But I don't support the war. People of like thinking should speak out. Just as they should have in Germany.

mike22cha

Originally Posted by crimzy
I think you're missing the point of the bumper sticker... at least my interpretation. I don't think that the sticker is necessarily saying that what we are doing in Iraq is comparable to the Nazis. However, I do think that the sticker is cautioning against blind support of a regime, without questions. We must decide if we believe that our current actions are right before we just blindly run around spouting out that we should support our troops.
I support our troops.... I want them home safe. But I don't support the war. People of like thinking should speak out. Just as they should have in Germany.
Agreed.

darthtang aw

I can see this point. However you can still support the troops and provide them with what they need yet not support the administration and what they are promoting or agenda they are pushing. A better analogy would have been a crack at the leadership not the guys following orders and doing a job.

crimzy

Originally Posted by Darthtang AW
I can see this point. However you can still support the troops and provide them with what they need yet not support the administration and what they are promoting or agenda they are pushing. A better analogy would have been a crack at the leadership not the guys following orders and doing a job.
True... the implication, whether intended or not, is pretty tasteless. Just shock value to prove a point.

jerthunter

I personally don't understand the people, celebrities mostly, that claim to support the troops and yet claim to hate the war. Those people seem like the want to have their cake and eat it too. But if you are truely opposed to the war, it only makes sense to be opposed to the people who go along with it, meaning no supporting the troops.
As far as the bumpersticker, it seems like it is in exteremly poor taste and all together pointless. If I'm opposed to something I wouldn't trivialize my stand by driving around with a bumper sticker on my vehicle. I feel that if you truely believe that what is going on is wrong or in any way illegal you should do something besides buying a bumper sticker. Bumper stickers are for people who want a quick laugh from the guy in traffic stuck behind them, not a method of washing you hands of something you disagree with.

crimzy

Originally Posted by Jerthunter
I personally don't understand the people, celebrities mostly, that claim to support the troops and yet claim to hate the war. Those people seem like the want to have their cake and eat it too.
I feel that if you truely believe that what is going on is wrong or in any way illegal you should do something besides buying a bumper sticker.
Funny but I think the same way about people who support the war. If you feel this is a cause that is worth sacrificing American lives, then you should enlist or you are a hypocrit. Is the cause so important that it's worth losing American lives... as long as it's not your own?

jmick

Originally Posted by Jerthunter
I personally don't understand the people, celebrities mostly, that claim to support the troops and yet claim to hate the war. Those people seem like the want to have their cake and eat it too. But if you are truely opposed to the war, it only makes sense to be opposed to the people who go along with it, meaning no supporting the troops.
As far as the bumpersticker, it seems like it is in exteremly poor taste and all together pointless. If I'm opposed to something I wouldn't trivialize my stand by driving around with a bumper sticker on my vehicle. I feel that if you truely believe that what is going on is wrong or in any way illegal you should do something besides buying a bumper sticker. Bumper stickers are for people who want a quick laugh from the guy in traffic stuck behind them, not a method of washing you hands of something you disagree with.
I support our troops and I'd like to see them get what they need to do their job and give them maximum protection. I am also against the "war" and would like to see an end to it in the near future. You can be against the war and still support our troops, to say otherwise is rather ignorant.

jerthunter

Funny but I think the same way about people who support the war. If you feel this is a cause that is worth sacrificing American lives, then you should enlist or you are a hypocrit. Is the cause so important that it's worth losing American lives... as long as it's not your own?
Yes, it is much easier to support a war if your life isn't on the line. Personally I am not a big fan of those support our troops bumper stickers either. I don't know why they bug me but the just do.
However it is one thing to say I support our troops and although I don't really care for this war I don't think it is wrong. It is an all together different thing to say 'this war is illegal' and yet claim to support the people in it.

jerthunter

Originally Posted by Jmick
I support our troops and I'd like to see them get what they need to do their job and give them maximum protection. I am also against the "war" and would like to see an end to it in the near future. You can be against the war and still support our troops, to say otherwise is rather ignorant.
I agree, you can not like the war and support the troops but I don't see the logic of saying 'it is illegal' and yet claiming support.

jerthunter

Originally Posted by lil' tanker
I find it hard to believe they weren't talking about the Nazi's
It is pretty obvious they were, just they were to afraid to put 'Nazi' there so they could claim that they weren't.

Originally Posted by MIKE22cha
Was it refering to the Nazis? How do you know that?

Who the HELL else
do you think they were referring to!?! That's a cheap cop-out. Argue the war and the president all you want, but that's just ridiculous.

1journeyman

That would be a great argument IF we had the draft.... We do not, however. Our military is comprised 100% of volunteers.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by lil' tanker
I find it hard to believe they weren't talking about the Nazi's
I highly doubt it was referring to the Holy Roman Empire... It very clearly is referring to the Nazis.

dreamer44

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
That would be a great argument IF we had the draft.... We do not, however. Our military is comprised 100% of volunteers.
mostly of kids right out of high school with the promise of a college education paid for in return for their serving in the military....I know for "FACT" that they do not always follow through with the promised education, my nephew served 4 yrs in the marines and went to iraq and completed 4 or 5 tours there, he was lucky to get home alive. He now has mental problems from the crap they forced him to do. no schooling for him, no compensation either,
he was 17 when they got him to sign up, and 18 when they sent him to boot camp, they trained him for 8 lousy weeks and shipped him straight over to iraq.
and yes, I do support the troops, they are innocent young adults, with promises dangled in front of their eyes, the war however is a different story, I think Bush should get his butt over there on the front line and fight his own war, and let the troops come home.
Just my opinion, that is all
Lori

1journeyman

Originally Posted by Dreamer44
...he was 17 when they got him to sign up, and 18 when they sent him to boot camp, they trained him for 8 lousy weeks and shipped him straight over to iraq. ...
If he was 17 his parents consented...