just set up new tank

frozenguy

i just set up a new tank today...it is my first tank....
it is a 25 gallon tank...the only things i know are the answers i got from my questions i asked at my lfs. it is one of those eclipse tank kits with the built in lighting/filter. i also bought about 18 lbs of live rock...(uncured) i wanted to know if this rock was ok.....also....should i leave the light on 24/7 for the cycle period? i'm out in california (northern)....how long should i leave it on for?
picture 1

entice59

i would add more sand probably until you would get atleast 2 more inches if possible basically 2 more bags of livesand, try to ask the lfs if they can give you a discount because your going to them exclusively for anything. Usually they might give charge less on the sand and equipment. you do not need to turn on the light, unless you like to do what i do, just stare at the rock. Welcome to the board, where do you do your shopping near san fran? i can recommend some good stores
what kind of things do you plan on putting in the tank?

frozenguy

i plan on putting in a porky puffer......
spiny box fish
australian harlequin tusk....
maybe an eel....
some other things...i hear that the puffers are not really compatable but i really want to try it......
i buy from the concord aquarium.......
off of 680 north.....my friend is in the hospital right now (broke his back while we were snowmobiling)......but when he gets out (1 week) his brother is going to take us a few places in san francisco

entice59

all those things, i think would not fit in a 25 gallon tank dispite what the local fish store would tell you. i think for those types of fish i would get atleast 100 gallons, check out the reef section and maybe you can start up a nano-reef tank, with the eclipse your limited by the light and having no room for a protein skimmer, a nice mushroom and polyp type tank with maybe a few small fishes like lawnmower blenny, firefish, a clown( can not have anomie without an established tank, well feedings and a lot of lighting for photosynethizing) sorry to bring you down but atleast you didnt buy the things and no have time to rethink your plans
go to balboa, a store called lucky aquarium they might have some good prices on coral, sometimes they have good shipments and sometimes they have nothing interesting
6th ave and celment is a good place but the people who work there are jerks and you have to get your own fish and rocks but its the cheapest place
nippon, www.nippongoldfish.com for directions, they have excellent tanks in my opinion in san francisco, very experinced and know what they are doing
theres a place on taravel, i forgot the name, but they have some selections and prices are kind of high but the guy who owns the place is nice and they do have great looking live rock, a lot of coraline on it

frozenguy

why such a big tank for those 3 fish??????????
geez.......thats kind of depressing.......
hmmm.....
i mean, i'm upgrading to a 75 gallon soon...this is just to start me off......

entice59

yeah, i have never seen any of those animals in such a small tank, 75 gallon... perhaps that would be more suitable ask the people in the aggressive forum i think they can help you there more then i could

Frozenguy-
Welcome to the board. Like Entice, I live in SF so we can give you some idea(s) on places to shop. I know a couple of reefers who live up towards Tracy and they might be able to give you a few other places that you can purchase from.
I agree with Entice...you can probably fit those fishes in your 25 gallon tank but as they grow and need to swim, you will run into problems. I also think you are going to have a problem with your water quality since those fishes will be producing alot of waste...hence, ammonia build-up especially in a smaller tank.
If you are planning on using the 25 gallon as a test, I would suggest going with one aggressive fish that won't get too big when it gets to an adult so that you can learn the ins/outs of a saltwater tank. Believe me, you don't want to buy alot of fishes and not know the basics and watch each one die little by little for a variety of reasons. I learned that lesson the hard way.
Good Luck! Maybe we should start a bay area saltwater email club or something, eh? LOL

jawz

yeh i kno it does suck u cant get the fish u want, i was setting up my 35 and planned to put a tang in there but now i know that they wont work in the tank so i gotta find smaller alternatives, i kno how u feel

Definitely not good live stock choice for your aquarium size. Remember you are not dealing with an animal that once it outgrows the tank you can EASILY transfer it to another tank. The move causes it stress. It is not as simple as transferring a puppy from a smaller yard to a bigger yard. You'll probably have to remove much of the LR to get the fish out, then chase them around for awhile with the net. Very stressful for your fish. Please don't do your own experiment to see if these animals will do OKAY in such a small tank. You will have plenty of people with a lot of experience telling you not to do so. Do a search and look up the previous thread titled "Why when people read what you have in your tank they get all upset..." Some good points raised in this thread.

frozenguy

so...let me get this straight....if i want a porky puffer.....a fish that is like 3 inches long...i need 180 gallons of water????god...that is more room than i have in my own house...i think.........and then do i need to add on another 125 gallons if ii want an eel?
anyways....so what should i do? what small fish can i get?
=-(
i need to get a big tank............fast...........damn

jawz

no no, ok if u have an 180 g, u can put plenty in, u dont ned another 125 jsut for the other fish, the size is for swimmin space and surface area, its doesnt need alll the space but likes the swimmin area and such

azeritis

You must always remember that a larger tank is also easier to keep. Far more expensive but easier. Once you set it up and establish the system, you cannot screw up easily. Far more stable. So especially for new aquarists a larger tank is better

entice59

since you dont have the fish already, you can rethink the tank, i persoanlly think reefs are way better then just a fish tank, you get board of it with in a year in my opinon, my dad a boring discus tank but i guess nothing is cooler then seeing something eat other fish =), if you seriously want a agressive tank have the the money to spend, get a shark tank with eels and stingrays(do not know if they are compatable but research, again will always help.