just started my cycle with live rock, no readings?

tmkx3

:cheer: I have a 125g tank. I have 125lbs of sand and 70lbs of live figi rock. The rock has been in the tank 3 days, so far I am not getting any reading. I fed the tank with bloodworms yesterday, still no ammonia or at least that I can tell. The color on the chart for 0 and 0.25 are very close in shade. It definately isn't green. How long should It take to get a reading? How can you tell if there is die off from your rock? My husband got my rock. He said that the lfs took most of it out of his tanks that had fish in them. Where they fully cured and I won't get any die off? If so, do I need to do something else to start my cycle? I also am runnung a protein skimmer. Do I need to turn it off? Thanx so much

treybomb

wait a little longer and if theres still no reading put som dead raw shrimp in there... and if theres still no reading afetr about a week then u probalby have faulty test kits

bigarn

For a tank that size I'd use 4 raw uncooked cocktail shrimp to start the cycle. If the rock came from an established tank, it was already cured and wouldn't kick off the cycle.

You can turn the skimmer off for now, there's really nothing to skim yet. Do you have powerheads in there for water circulation?

diane4

When I set up my 90 gallon fish only tank, I put in the sand and live rock. Ran the tank for about 1 week and then added 1 fish. Never once had a spike in any numbers. And I use liquid and digital test kits.
It all depends on the bio load of what you put in the tank. Go very slow adding fish and you will have no problem.
In fact, in all 3 of my saltwater tanks, I have never had a cycle spike. Much easier than the fresh water tanks to cycle when using the live rock.

birdy

I agree with Diane, there is not reason to spike your ammonia levels so high that you kill off the life on the LR you just spent so much money to buy.
Try this, feed the tank for two weeks, feed it like you have several fish in there, one cube of frozen food a day would probably be good. If you continue to have good levels then you have enough bacteria in the tank to sustain a few fish.
STOCK SLOWLY!! just one or two fish at a time, wait at least two weeks testing your levels and then you will be fine.

mudhauler

Get some sand from the fuge of an established tank it's loaded with bacteria the raw shrimp thing is gross and it takes forever IMO

20gallon

How do you know is some of the live rock has died off? What are the symptoms of that?
How much does temp affect live rock?
Can you tell good live rock from bad? If so how?

sgdeb

Hello. If your LFS took the LR out of existing tanks, it was already cured and would not want to be in your uncured tank... It is very possible that any life left on these rocks will - indeed - die during your cycling process. To cure with LR, you will want to use UNCURED LR; the uncured will have the die off that will jump start your cycle; cured rock has only the living things --- that will likely die in your cycling process because inverts like that are very dependent on constant water conditions.
That being said (and only 70 lbs possibly forfeited) (BTW, uncured LR is much less expensive than CURED LR), add a couple table shrimp to start your cycle. Your tank must have die off/dead bacterias and such to cycle. A couple shrimp will be just the thing to get that tank cycling...
FYI, I have cycled with uncured LR and Live Sand --- the tank cycled in less than 4 weeks, compared to 6 with a fish (not to mention torturing the fish). But your tank will be fine, just add a couple raw shrimp.
Oh, and don't FEED your tank or do any water changes during the cycling process (unless you were using live fish). The tank will do the work itself. Doing a water change could restart a cycle all over...
Good luck.
Deb

diane4

Birdy, thanks for your opinion. It is my personal experience that I have never had a spike in cycle numbers when using live rock - as long as you don't rush into getting fish and you keep the overal bio-load light. Never had a cycle issue with my saltwater or reef tanks, but sure have had cycle issues with my fresh water tanks.
The key is patience. And don't try to make the nitrite/nitrate spikes, it will kill off your live rock. I wish the fresh water tanks were this easy.

kengaroo

I started my cycle 3 weeks ago and I am not getting any ammonia, nitrate or nitrite spikes at all. I put in a shrimp and a couple of shrimp shells in my tank for 6 days now and no spike at all. My water is turning quite yellowish. I think it is from the live rocks curing. I have a 46 gallon tank with 40lb of live sand and 36lb live rock. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to clear up the water? Also if I put in a clean up crew or a fish in my tank tank right now given the current water condition, do you think they will struggle to survive? I don't want to spend the money and kill everything. That would be cruel.

birdy

Oh, and don't FEED your tank or do any water changes during the cycling process (unless you were using live fish). The tank will do the work itself. Doing a water change could restart a cycle all over...
Sorry but I totally disagree with this statement. It just doesn't make any logical sense. Feeding the tank does exactly what you want it do to accomplish, during the cycle you want decaying matter because that will cause the good bacteria to mutiply so that it will be able to process the amount of waste that several fish would. Nuff said. Doing water changes during the cycle (if you have high levels) will not start the cycle over, what it will do is keep the ammonia levels low enough that you do not kill everything in the tank you just spent all that money on. The bacteria is still there, you are not removing bacteria when you do a water change, the majority of bacteria is on the sand and the rock and everything else, not in the water.
If you have a new tank and there is a decent amount of decaying matter and it has been at least a couple of weeks with no rise in levels ( you should have some nitrate readings though). Then it is safe to say you have a decent amount of bacteria in the tank to sustain a cleanup crew and a couple fish.
Just go slowly stocking tanks.....

birdy

Kengaroo- is the water yellow? or do you have diatoms?
If the water is acutally yello (just get a white cup or something and scoop up some water and look at it). Then carbon is your friend.
If it is diatoms then you need a cleanup crew. If you have no levels after 3wks then I would say it is safe to add a cleanup crew and one fish, stock slowly, if you get a spike at anypoint just do water changes to keep the level at a safe zone.

kengaroo

Originally Posted by Birdy
Kengaroo- is the water yellow? or do you have diatoms?
If the water is acutally yello (just get a white cup or something and scoop up some water and look at it). Then carbon is your friend.
If it is diatoms then you need a cleanup crew. If you have no levels after 3wks then I would say it is safe to add a cleanup crew and one fish, stock slowly, if you get a spike at anypoint just do water changes to keep the level at a safe zone.
I apologize for being ignorant. I have no experience with fishes. How do I identify diatoms? The water is yellow. If carbon is causing this, how can I treat the water? I added a cleanup crew yesterday (12 turbo snails, 12 margarita snails and 10 hermit crabs for my 46 gallon tank). Is this enough?

birdy

There is a search feature at the top of the page, if you find a word or something you do not understand then it is a great help.
If the water is yellow then carbon is GOOD, you need to run it in your filter to clean up the water.
Sounds like a good cleanup crew too me.

kengaroo

If the water is yellow then carbon is GOOD, you need to run it in your filter to clean up the water.
I have a ProClear Aquatics Pro wet/dry filter with a skimmer. It only has 3 sponge like filters and media balls. Do I need one with carbon in it?

birdy

Okay, you need to buy Activated Carbon, I like Black Diamond by Marineland, get a micron bag (fine mesh bag with velcro closure) put a cup of carbon in, rinse in RO water and put in the sump, water will pass through the carbon and polish the water.
Also sounds like you need to do a water change, what is your water change routine?

kengaroo

Also sounds like you need to do a water change, what is your water change routine?
I have not made any water change yet. I am just on my 22nd day of cycling my tank.