Just started my new 36g Tank!

aquaria

So I gave it a try and ive been rinsing it for about 45min-1h and it is still spitting black and brown water and little particles everywhere!
Im still kind of concerned!
Is this normal for it to take THIS long?
Thanks

S

smallreef

nope.. only ever took about 15 minutes of powerful water washing for me....

tirtza

I agree with Meowzer, it's totally normal. I made the mistake last time of just plopping the new bag of Chemi-Pure in the sump and a black cloud came out of the output nozzel for a couple of minutes, and then it cleared up. Luckily it didn't hurt anything. I was soooo scared it would though!
When I do a weekly water change I always make sure to lightly rinse the bag of Chemi-Pure, black stuff still comes out even then.

aquaria

I know i was too worried to just put it in the tank even after rinsing it for 45 min lol
I ended up going to the store and getting a new one and it is working just fine now!

I now have a poly-filter pad and a chemipure in there, I hope to see the nitrate and phosphate drop over the next couple of days

tirtza

Have you thought about using Purigen? I haven't been in this hobby for very long (only 6 months) but I was given some really great advice and started using it and it's worked great at helping to keep my water in good condition.

aquaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirtza http:///t/389867/just-started-my-new-36g-tank/100#post_3454923
Have you thought about using Purigen? I haven't been in this hobby for very long (only 6 months) but I was given some really great advice and started using it and it's worked great at helping to keep my water in good condition.
I was thinking about getting the purigen, at my lfs it was quite expensive so i ended up going with a combination of poly-filter and chemi-pure which was a bit cheaper!
At this point my tank is about 4 weeks going on 5 weeks now and the greyish diatom algae seems to becoming pretty abundant!
What can i add in my CUC right now, can i add an emerald crab yet or should i be waiting a little longer? Same with the cleaner shrimp?
Thanks everyone!

aquaria

I was fairly sure it was done cycling i haven't seen any ammonia or niTRITE for about two weeks after the initial level spikes!
How much longer do you think i should wait?

aquaria

I mean the niTRATE was 15 when I last checked, still on its way down!
I put in my filter a poly-filter and Chemi-pure which decreased it a bit, but for the most part its on the decline

aquaria

Ok, so i put a fairly large bag of Purigen in my filter last night and my niTRATE levels are about <5 right now

The algae is starting to turn my sand brown and get a little nasty.
What would you recommend would be the best to clean this up?
Thanks!

fixpc

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaria http:///t/389867/just-started-my-new-36g-tank/100#post_3456154
Ok, so i put a fairly large bag of Purigen in my filter last night and my niTRATE levels are about <5 right now

The algae is starting to turn my sand brown and get a little nasty.
What would you recommend would be the best to clean this up?
Thanks!
All you need is a good cleaning crew( snails and some hermit crabs) the Brown algae will go away and usually is replaced with green algae the fun never stops that's why this is a great time to get your cleaning crew in the tank until a thing that can help with the Brown algae is a phosphorous remover, phosphorus removers also removes silica the Brown algae in your tank feeds on silica