Just started the cycle on my first tank! Yay!

yunabug

So I started my cycle yesterday. FINALLY!
I have (what me and my friend believe) a 40g tank. I'm not sure exactly how many gallons it is, so if anyone is good with math and can figure it out for me, I can give you the dimensions XD
Aaaaanyways.
I have three good sized pieces of live rock (about 1.5 times the length of my hand) that my friend gave me from her tank. One is COVERED in beautiful purple coraline. The other two are what I describe at "branchy". She also gave me three hermits ^_^
I have 30lbs of live sand.
Currently, I am running a Marineland filter and a powerhead (not sure what brand). She told me that I didn't have to run a skimmer during the cycle, because it defeats the purpose of the cycle. Is this true?
Ah! My lights! I have USA Current Satellite (I think that's what she told me they were). Apparently they are really good lights, because when she had them, she was keeping zoas.
Anyways, I have some questions.
I apparently live in the most backwards town ever. We made a trek to walmart to get some RO water, and they didn't even have it!
Soooo, we had to use tap water *dies* We did however treat it.
So, that was the first "WTF" moment. I was not happy that I had to start my first tank with tap, but she assured me that it would be ok for the cycle, but to never use it again, no matter if it is treated. Hopefully the Walmart about 30 minutes away has RO water....
Ok, so we get started filling the tank and mixing the salt.
Second "WTF" moment. We were following the instructions on the bag for how much salt to mix. *mix mix mix* we go. We test it. Note: I have a hydrometer. I cannot afford and expensive refractometer, and my friend told me that this hydrometer served her well when she had it.
It's like, barely
registering the salt content. After adding, and mixing, and adding and mixing, I started to get frustrated. We tested once more, and it registered just right below the "Go" zone. I was too frustrated at this point.
We went ahead and added the sand and rock and hermits.
Finally, my tank is set up.
Here's my question to you guys and gals.
My salinity is still a bit low. I have been told NO water changes during the cycle. So. To both raise my salinity the bit that it needs to be raised, and to start my tank on a gradual change to RO water, what do I need to do? Just wait for some of the water in the tank to evoporate and then add the RO saltwater?
Also! I want to add more rock! During the cycle, can I add rock? Or do I need to wait till after the cycle?
I'm very excited about getting my tank up and running! It was so cool laying in bed last night just staring at my tank (even though the water was still cloudy from the sand XD).

otter

Welcome and congrats on starting your first tank. You sound really excited and if this is your first adventure into Aquarium keeping you will find it quite an addicting past time. There is so much to cover, I will just hit on some of the broader pieces of aquarium knowledge. Be the sponge!
1. READ EVERYTHING! pick up books on basic fish keeping, read many forums, Tips and tricks, and all instruction manuals.

2. Ask lots of questions. You will get many different opinions. Take the best and throw away the rest.
3. Be Patient.
4. Be more patient.
5. Did I mention be patient? The best results you will recieve in this hobby are from going slow and being patient. Most mistakes and fish deaths are attributed to trying to hurry a process. Such as nintrogen/tank cycling.
Ok, for your specific tank.
RO vs. Tap water. Water is water. If you have to use tap water, that means it has chemicals such as chlorine in it that needs to cycle out before it is fish ready. Look around town for the water machines. That is RO water also and fairly cheap. If not, you might try getting a small trash can you can put tap water in. Let it sit for a couple weeks and it will have dechlorinated. Then you can use for top off water or salt mix.
Hydrometers are finicky. The arrow can get stuck, bubbles can lift it higher than it should be, and even the temperature will factor into your salinity and specfic gravity. If you don't think you are getting a good reading, try tapping the hydrometer to remove bubbles, rinse with fresh water before re testing, and make sure your water temp is what is recommended on the salt mix.
Live rock is great. Start thinking on what kind of tank you are going to have. LR can be used as a filter, decoration, or both. Your answer will have an effect on how much you want or need. Figure out what you want then work towards it. Again, read alot.
Filters. The bigger the better. If you have one that is at least double the capacity it is rated for, your in good shape.
Protien skimmers. Unless you are going to do corals, wait until the tank fully cycles before starting up a protien skimmer. Read about tank cycling.
IMHO, I would not put anything live in your tank for at least a month. The nitrogen cycle process is very toxic to fish and other animals. It is very boring and I have not always followed this advice. I have always paid for it by fish dying.
Well, this is much longer post than I meant. Good Luck and...
BE PATIENT!

salt210

what is your specific gravity? you want to get that up. the rock has bacteria on it that you want to keep
you can find refractos for 20-30 dollars

sueandherzoo

Welcome, from one newbie to another. I found a refractometer online for $40 so put that near the top of your list of things to buy when you can - it's no more expensive than a couple of fish and it might save you a fortune down the road.
Patience. I need to second that advice. Of course I wasn't patient enough (is anyone ever?) and I have lost a few living things. Right now I'm in my 8th or 9th week of my tank and I have nothing alive in there except some crabs and snails. I am not adding another living thing until I see my ammonia and nitrite at absolute, undeniable ZERO. I'm not sure why my tank is taking so long to reach that phase but I've got to wait it out - I must be getting close.
Good luck, and keep reading!
Sue

janscott23

welcome to the hobbie.
If you can add live rock to the tank now it would be better than later since you could start a new cycle (the problem with live rock is that it is shipped in little or no water causing die off If your getting it from you LFS take a 5gal bucket with you and have it filled with saltwater along with the rock that way no die off)
what are the dimetions of tank so I can figure out the tanks gal.

yunabug

Thank everyone for your kind and welcoming replies!
I would first like to state that I'm not thinking about adding fish anytime soon XD I have read too many sad stories of people rushing in and losing fish. I'm not thinking about adding fish till after my trip to Disney (November 9th-15th), and then I'm gonna check at least a billion times to make sure my tank is ready

I will make sure to look for a refractometer. When I test with my hydrometer, I make sure to get all bubbles out, and shake it more for good measure (and because I'm frustrated XD). My temp is varying right now from anywhere between 73~77 degrees. Today was the first full day that I ran lights, so maybe in a few days my temp will even out.
*checks* At this very moment, my specific gravity is at 1.019, and my temp is at about 76.
Live rock. I do plan on buying locally. About an hour and a half round trip to the LFS. I do have a bucket for such purpose as well XD
Patience. I have plenty XD I had to wait over a month waiting for my friend to come down and set this up for me, and show me all the ropes. During which time I did a fair amount of research. I know I need to do more, which I will be doing during the cycle ^_^
Hmmm. I will think of some more stuff to mention I'm sure.
Again! I thank you all so much for your kindness, and I hope that you are here to answer plenty of random questions ^_^

yunabug

Okies! Here's the dimensions of my tank. If someone could figure out how big it is, I would be eternally grateful ^_^
Length- 30"
Width- 12"
Height- 23"
Also, is it ok to add water during the cycle? I need to get my salinity up a bit, and my water has evaporated some.

yunabug

Any help?

Also, I'm having a brown algae outbreak T_T And it's only my fifth day of the cycle.
I've been told to cut down on my lights. I worked for 5 hours today, and when I got home, the algae was twice as bad. I am in the process of turning off the lights now.
Is there anything else I can do?

welcome and u will be addicted. my goal is to have about 5 tanks and if i get 3 ill be satisfied different tank obvcoarse.

otter

Brown diatom algae is part of the cycling process. You don't have to run your light more than an hour or two when cycling. Leaving them off completely slows down the cycling process IMO. Your tank is going to be really ugly looking by the time your tank is cycled. That is what the clean up crew is for. Keep reading. Be patient.

yunabug

Ah! Thank you for the info! As much as I have been reading, I guess I overlooked that info.
Yeah, the algae looks ugly and gross, but if it is part of the cycle, I'm happy! That means my cycle is going according to schedual ^_^
I'll probably run my lights for about 3 hours daily.
Thanks for everyone's help!

otter

"Cycle " refers to the nitrofication cycling process water goes through in your aquarium. Simply put, Waste >Ammonia >Nitrite >Nitrate >dissapation = leaving benefical bacteria. Then the cycle starts all over again.

petcoguy

From how I understood the nitrogen cycle to work, nitrates remain in your tank and build up over time; hence the reason we do water changes...

otter

Originally Posted by Petcoguy
http:///forum/post/2790192
From how I understood the nitrogen cycle to work, nitrates remain in your tank and build up over time; hence the reason we do water changes...
Your right. I should not have said dissapation. There is a build up of Nitrates.