Just starting out and very overwhelmed!!

amandastp

I bought a 29 gallon tank and have been cycling it for two weeks now. My LFS seems to get annoyed with all my questions and I am afraid to ask them for help , so I was hoping someone here wouldn't mind all my questions. So far I have just crushed coral on the bottom of the tank and a few of what I think are live rock, but in the store they were not in water, they were just in a box on the floor so I am not sure. They also told me to put a Damsel in so I have one and I have been feeding him Brine shrimp twice a day. Now I was reading doing some research to day and I found that it can actually hurt and kill the Damsel, so now I feel terrible and don't now what to do with him. I am also noticing my rocks are starting to turn green. I'm sure it's too soon for a CUC. They also didn't tell me to buy any test kit only a Hygrometer so I have no idea where my water is at. I am planning to only have two sea-horses in my tank. Please can any one give me some direction here???? What do I need to be testing and when?
What to do with the poor Damsel?
What to do about the (I think) algae?
Do I have the right things so far to eventually get my Sea-horses?
When do I get the CUC?
When, and What plants are good to have in a tank with sea-horses?
Are you annoyed yet?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!

rdub62

that rock was not live...
you deffinately will not want that damsel in there when you decide to get the sea horses.
as far as the algae is it like dust particles or growing like a bush, (something you can pick up) ect.
as far as equipment...what do you have? what type lights? hopefully you don't have any extreme flow in your tank?
what type filtration do you have?

spanko

My suggestion is to stop everything you are doing, let the tank sit and cycle while you read;
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/348070/seahorse-species-and-basic-needs
and
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/301907/sh-tank-basics
develop some questions from there and come on back and start asking away. You have begun badly, but there are enough people here to get you on track. Research first, purchase second.
By the way welcome to SWF.com a really great community.

crypt keeper

I hate certain stores. They can be real jerks. I yelled at then smacked a one guy once for being a disrespectful brat to my girlfriend and calling her a B word no woman likes. I was asked to not come back to the store ever.

amandastp

Should I take the impostor live rocks out and find some real ones?
Is the crushed coral OK for the substrate, or should I get something else?
I thought I did my home work. I researched sea-horses and I thought I could trust the LFS to give me the right info. I am so glad to have found this sight!! I am in no rush to get the sea-horses. I just want to do everything right.

amandastp

The algae is not bush like(yet). It is just coating most of one rock and there is a little starting on some of the others.

amandastp

I knew the Damsel could not stay. They told me it would help cycle the tank, and I could bring him back, but I was not aware that it was inhumane. I have the kind of filter that hangs on the back of the tank. They (LFS) told me it would be good if I was only planning on having a couple of sea-horses. There is a charcoal(I think) cartridge that you change once a month. I know sea-horses don't like strong current, and it seems pretty gentle. The water just cascades out of the filter and falls into the tank. I did ask for an up-grade in the lighting. It is made by coralife, and it has a bluish bulb and a brighter white light. I hear people saying they have timers for there lights. There is only one switch so they are both either on or off. I keep them on all day and shut them of for about 8 hours at night. Any info as to weather I should change anything. Thanks so much!!!

hlcroghan

Boy oh boy, I could post all day on this case. I feel so bad for you.....what a horrible fish store.
Ok, I commend you for wanting seahorses but they are considered expert animals and difficult to care for for many reasons. You could PM Rykna when you are able to. She is an excellent person for knowledge about them. Or you could go a different route for your first tank if you are not set on seahorses. It might be a little less headache for you.
Get the damsel out now while you can. They are really hard to catch normally, just so you know. Take him back to the store for credit. They are aggressive little buggers and will often kill fish many times their size. For seahorses, it is fine that you have dead rock. A lot of things that come on live rock are harmful to them. Feel free to buy more because it is super cheap compared to live rock.
You should not have any bubbles going into your tank. The water should slide in. Bubbles are a big no no for saltwater animals. You should invest in some powerheads. Maybe a koralia 1 and a koralia nano. That is what I have in my 29. I like it.
You can purchase a timer. Yes, they make life much easier. You only need lights on for about 8 hours a day, not 16. That is way too long. But.....you do not need to run your light right now. That is why you have algae. Once you take the fish back, turn off the lights, throw in a dead salad shrimp in and let it decay a bit. Buy some test kits for nitrite, ammonia, and nitrate. Read about the cycling of a tank. Once all levels are 0, your tank is cycled.
And make sure you read those threads Spanko provided. They are invaluable.....
And welcome to the boards!!!! We are glad to have you here!

Feel free to continue asking questions......

amandastp

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I have been reading a lot. I just have no confidence and I am so afraid I am going to do something wrong, which I guess I already have done. I have always been obsessed with sea-horses. I have been debating weather I want to take on the challenge of having them for years now. I have heard how hard they are to keep, but I am hoping with the help of all you wonderful people, I will be successful. You said to shut the lights off. Should I keep the filter running after I bring the Damsel back, or should I shut that off too? Thanks Again!!

teresaq

Hi amanda, breath

There are a few good threads in the seahorse section that will help you. Please join us there.
For horses, I would switch to sand for one. You can use dry aggregate, you don't have to have live sand.
Can you post pictures of the rock you bought. Dry base rock is also OK, you will just have to seed it with a couple of pieces of live rock. You don't really want a lot of hitch hikers with horses anyway.
What kind of filter do you have. Horses can be very messy. They do have a lrg bio load because of the food they eat.

poniegirl

Folks help me if I have the term wrong; the anaerobic cycle is what you need to learn and see your tank through first, Amanda. Google it as much as you can stand
and do purchase your test kit with the big 4, at least; PH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate.
I am doing this very thing (cycling, again) right now. It does take time, it can be frustrating. Especially when you are picturing seahorses in there!
Your rock will cycle with the rest of your tank; I don't think you should replace it at this point.
As Spanko has said, read, relax and once your tank has balanced (cycled) you will be able to move forward.
Welcome, this is a great resource!
BTB, if you can package, bag or bucket, that damsel and hand him back, I certainly would. You do not need to excuse yourself in any way for that return.

woody189

Originally Posted by crypt keeper
http:///forum/post/3058937
I hate certain stores. They can be real jerks. I yelled at then smacked a one guy once for being a disrespectful brat to my girlfriend and calling her a B word no woman likes. I was asked to not come back to the store ever.
I would have done more than smacked him.
Originally Posted by amandastp
http:///forum/post/3058989
Should I take the impostor live rocks out and find some real ones?
Is the crushed coral OK for the substrate, or should I get something else?
I thought I did my home work. I researched sea-horses and I thought I could trust the LFS to give me the right info. I am so glad to have found this sight!! I am in no rush to get the sea-horses. I just want to do everything right.
Maybe you should just get a few fish in the beggining, and then when you get the hang of things, then return them for credit and get the horses.
Originally Posted by hlcroghan

http:///forum/post/3059018
Boy oh boy, I could post all day on this case. I feel so bad for you.....what a horrible fish store.
Ok, I commend you for wanting seahorses but they are considered expert animals and difficult to care for for many reasons. You could PM Rykna when you are able to. She is an excellent person for knowledge about them. Or you could go a different route for your first tank if you are not set on seahorses. It might be a little less headache for you.
Get the damsel out now while you can. They are really hard to catch normally, just so you know. Take him back to the store for credit. They are aggressive little buggers and will often kill fish many times their size. For seahorses, it is fine that you have dead rock. A lot of things that come on live rock are harmful to them. Feel free to buy more because it is super cheap compared to live rock.
You should not have any bubbles going into your tank. The water should slide in. Bubbles are a big no no for saltwater animals. You should invest in some powerheads. Maybe a koralia 1 and a koralia nano. That is what I have in my 29. I like it.
You can purchase a timer. Yes, they make life much easier. You only need lights on for about 8 hours a day, not 16. That is way too long. But.....you do not need to run your light right now. That is why you have algae. Once you take the fish back, turn off the lights, throw in a dead salad shrimp in and let it decay a bit. Buy some test kits for nitrite, ammonia, and nitrate. Read about the cycling of a tank. Once all levels are 0, your tank is cycled.

Yea, everything (s)he said.
Make sure you put uncooked shrimp to cycle. I wouldn't buy my equipment from a LFS. They are just so expensive (at least around me). By it all online, and return the damsel, and never go back to the store.
What makes live rock, "live," is the good bacteria growing on it. If it's dry, then there is no good bacteria, so it's not live rock, it IS base rock. Base rock is much cheaper and will turn into live rock, once you add a little bit of live rock to seed it. How much did you pay per pound if you don't mind?
I don't know much about horses, but they are supposed to be on the difficult side. I think you should just get a few fish to start with. Some ppl keep fish with their horses, so maybe you won't even have to return them.
As for filtration, I know for fish, Hang on Back's aren't the best, and according to Teresa, horses have heavy bio load so maybe you should get a different type of filtration, maybe a sump.
Again, IDK about horses, but live sand is always recommened over crushed coral. Food and junk get's stuck in CC and decays and can cause nitrate issues.
IDK how sensitve horses are to salinity changes, but hydrometers are notorious for being innacurate. If you have the money, get a refractometer. I lost a few fish because my water was WAY to salty using a hydrometer until I got refractometer.
leave the lights off and filter on. THe filter will gather the good bacteria, but you have to "ghost feed" the tnak, or throw the shrimp in there instead.
I dont think there is any need to upgrade lights right now. You can change the bulb if you want a different color, but you don't need a new fixture, i dont think. you can get a timer for like 6$ at home depot.
And get those kits that were recommended.
Keep reading. My bro bought me my tank Last last xmas (07), and I didn't buy my equipment until mid FEB. I was doing A LOT of research, all onthis site. Keep reading all the threads on here you can. You will learn so much. I don't have 1 friend w/ a tank, I learned all I know from here. (I'm also new, so my advise may not be 100% correct, I try though)
Just let your tank sit like Spanko said, and do some more research. And post ??'s

amandastp

Originally Posted by woody189
http:///forum/post/3059316
Maybe you should just get a few fish in the beggining, and then when you get the hang of things, then return them for credit and get the horses.
Make sure you put uncooked shrimp to cycle. I wouldn't buy my equipment from a LFS. They are just so expensive (at least around me). By it all online, and return the damsel, and never go back to the store.
What makes live rock, "live," is the good bacteria growing on it. If it's dry, then there is no good bacteria, so it's not live rock, it IS base rock. Base rock is much cheaper and will turn into live rock, once you add a little bit of live rock to seed it. How much did you pay per pound if you don't mind?
I don't know much about horses, but they are supposed to be on the difficult side. I think you should just get a few fish to start with. Some ppl keep fish with their horses, so maybe you won't even have to return them.
As for filtration, I know for fish, Hang on Back's aren't the best, and according to Teresa, horses have heavy bio load so maybe you should get a different type of filtration, maybe a sump.
Again, IDK about horses, but live sand is always recommened over crushed coral. Food and junk get's stuck in CC and decays and can cause nitrate issues.
IDK how sensitve horses are to salinity changes, but hydrometers are notorious for being innacurate. If you have the money, get a refractometer. I lost a few fish because my water was WAY to salty using a hydrometer until I got refractometer.
leave the lights off and filter on. THe filter will gather the good bacteria, but you have to "ghost feed" the tnak, or throw the shrimp in there instead.
I dont think there is any need to upgrade lights right now. You can change the bulb if you want a different color, but you don't need a new fixture, i dont think. you can get a timer for like 6$ at home depot.
Keep reading. My bro bought me my tank Last last xmas (07), and I didn't buy my equipment until mid FEB. I was doing A LOT of research, all onthis site. Keep reading all the threads on here you can. You will learn so much. I don't have 1 friend w/ a tank, I learned all I know from here. (I'm also new, so my advise may not be 100% correct, I try though)
Just let your tank sit like Spanko said, and do some more research. And post ??'s
Thanks so much for the info!! This is a really stupid question, but cooked shrimp or raw like the blue ones that are not devained and still have a shell on?

amandastp

Originally Posted by PonieGirl
http:///forum/post/3059207
Folks help me if I have the term wrong; the anaerobic cycle is what you need to learn and see your tank through first, Amanda. Google it as much as you can stand
and do purchase your test kit with the big 4, at least; PH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate.
I am doing this very thing (cycling, again) right now. It does take time, it can be frustrating. Especially when you are picturing seahorses in there!
Your rock will cycle with the rest of your tank; I don't think you should replace it at this point.
As Spanko has said, read, relax and once your tank has balanced (cycled) you will be able to move forward.
Welcome, this is a great resource!
BTB, if you can package, bag or bucket, that damsel and hand him back, I certainly would. You do not need to excuse yourself in any way for that return.
Thanks so much for the info and support!! My two little girls are so attached to the little Damsel, I'm sure it's going to be rough taking him back, but I am willing to do anything to get this tank on the right track.

amandastp

Originally Posted by woody189
http:///forum/post/3059316
Thanks for all the great info!! How do you suggest I get the CC out of the tank? I guess with no fish in it I could just scoop it out, Or should I just get ride of it, water and all and start over? I'm still not sure if live sand and live rock are ok for seahorses. I'v heard yes and no so I don't know who to believe.

amandastp

Originally Posted by hlcroghan
http:///forum/post/3059018

Thanks so much for the great info!! The seahorses won't mind being in the dark 16 hours a day? Are the powerheads you recomended comtatable with most filters, and do they create the gentle flow that seaghorses need?

hlcroghan

No. They won't mind it. You will see that salwater fish behave much differently than fresh. Saltwater fish actually sleep at night as opposed to fresh which just tend to still swim around. My mandarin lays on the bottom of the tank and looks like he is dead. I can actually pick him up and hold him if I want. My clowns don't move from the same spot all night long. You could have your lights on a little longer if you want. Mine are on for about 9 hours I think. I know some who do 10 but 8 is the general consesus for a good amount of light.
Powerheads don't have anything to do with your filters. They attatch with a magnet to the side of your tank and plug in. There is no compatibility issues at all. I don't think that those two should be too much flow. You could always go with two koralia nanos if you are concerned. From what I have heard horsies like to have some places where they can latch on that are low flow and some places that are higher where they can "ride" the stream of water. Anyone who is more knowledgeable, please chime in.

teresaq

please be carfull choosing your powerheads, some have been known to take the tip of a horses tail off, if they can stick it in the powerhead, they will.
My male like to swim up to the flow and ride it across the tank. Then he would go to a quite area for a miniute then right back into the flow.