Just starting out with 30G tank ..

mproctor4

Very nice tank, you will be happy with it. I like the stand alot. Just one shrimp is fine, leave it in for a few days. Test your water every couple of days so you know when everything peaks and comes back to zero. I kept a journal of mine (cause I'm anal) and have used it a couple of times for reference, was glad I wrote everything down. I also write down every living creature that goes in the tank, date of death if applicable, and any changes made to the tank. Just take your time, research while you are waiting, and enjoy it. I've given this advice lots of time and still stand by it......once you get your live rock, get a flashlight and magnifying glass. Turn off all of your lights, get yourself a nice drink, relax and enjoy watching all the critters. you may not notice things at first but there is life there and you will start to see more and more with a little time. You can really enjoy your tank even before your purposely add fish/corals/inverts. I still like watching all the little creatures in the tank even though it is full of alot of other things now. Are you going to keep your 20gal up and running for a QT/hospital tank? You won't ever regret that.

Yes the 20g is going to be on standby at all times. I'm going to keep it running the entire time.
I have two shrimp in now. (raw).
Btw how many gallons per hour is recommended for coral?

ok guys. I brought everything back to the pet store a week ago. I did exactly what you guys said.
I've had shrimp in the tank for a week. My tank is now 3.5 weeks old. Ammonia is 0. Nittrites and nitrates are both 0.
When is my tank going to cycle? I have 20 lbs live sand, 5 lbslive rock how long am I going to wait ? 6 years ?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by 191185 http:///forum/thread/386394/just-starting-out-with-30g-tank/40#post_3396637
ok guys. I brought everything back to the pet store a week ago. I did exactly what you guys said.
I've had shrimp in the tank for a week. My tank is now 3.5 weeks old. Ammonia is 0. Nittrites and nitrates are both 0.
When is my tank going to cycle? I have 20 lbs live sand, 5 lbslive rock how long am I going to wait ? 6 years ?
LOL...it only feels that long. In a few more days the ammonia will spike....it usually takes a little over a month to get a tank all set and totally safe for critters, people jump into it way too fast and go and start adding critters the moment they think it has gone through that first cycle. Patients is the key to success.
The live sand and rock may well be keeping up with the ammonia and going good. Is the shrimp looking rotten (fuzzy/cotton like)? If so remove it and wait a week and retest. If a fuzzy shrimp doesn't create a spike I would assume you are safe.
If I'm wrong someone chime in. Weather is bad so I'm leaving for now...

kiefers

I'm currently cycling a cube, turn the heater up to 80 - 82 degrees. You'll get a spike the next day.