Just starting salt, new cycling information help

phishman1

After 25 years with cichlids, started a 35 gallon salt tank, 3 weeks ago this coming Friday. Filtration, 330 bio wheel, (skimmer coming), 2 rio air pumps. Contents: 5 live rock, live sand, 2 Damsels, plus 2 small jumpstart bags of gravel from established tank. Reading: ph: 8.2, Ammonia: almost perfect, Nitrate: a little high, Nitrite: Terribly high, 1.0 to 2.0...with all the live stuff, shouldn't the tank be cycled already? I'm new at this, is their anything I can do to speed up, or just be patient.
Thanks, Jim

jeff33436

Hi Jim-
I recently cycled my 55 gallon tank and it took a full 4 weeks to completely cycle. I had 0 ammonia almost from the start, but my nitrites were high right up to the end. Then one morning, I tested and nitrites were 0. :) I am still trying to learn patience with this hobby and unfortunately, everything goes slow and takes time! Good luck and hang in there.

new

patience is the key with this hobby, cost me $100 dollars of poor fish that just got bought by the wrong person to learn that.

fshhub

each tank is diffferent, and tehre should be no time limit on anything, especially cycling,
IMEO, i have seen and heard of cycles lasting from days(which is very rare) to 3 months( i have even heard rumors of some lasting several months)
with the norm being 6 to 10 weeks for most(but do not count on any of the frames i have mentioned, just expect it to be long and if it is not, you will be pleasantly surprised)
just hang in there, it will happen and all be worth it
patience is our greatest asset here

cap'n pete

As stated, cycling can take up to 100 days to complete. The live stuff (especially the live rock) may have not been fully cured or could have die off from your water conditions. Just keep a good current going and let it run its course. water changes will only prolong it.

jake22

I started mt first salf water tank 2 months ago. I started with a 26 gallon tank with 26 pounds of live rock, about 30 pounds of live sand, and I bought the salf water from the fish store already mixed. I have a aquaclear 500 filter. I only had to wait a week before buying fish. I never did a test but so far no fish have died. I started with a gold striped maroon clown, a fire fish, a mandarin goby, 2 sally light foots, and a coupl of blue leg hermits.

bluemarlin

Jake22,
You never did a test? Do you test now? A test kit is an absolute must. Without one you will never be able to detect when something might be going wrong until the fish are all upside down! Then its a bit too late. Everyone needs a test kit.

hunterdaddy

Mandarins are pretty cool looking but I dont beleive 26 lbs of LR will produce enough pods to keep it alive very long. Even if it is eating brine or other foods it still needs the pods to keep it healthy.

mb4000

Phishman1 congratulations ,you have passed the first test in that you are asking questions on the right way to do this. I mean that seriously to.
Now I am going to vent. Jake, your story is probably going to cost some new guy who reads your post a lot of money and fish and thought " Jake had a stocked tank after a week and everything is fine, so I will to". your approach to your tank was just lazy and cruel. If your LFS gave you advice then I understand, but to tell that story like it's okay to stock a tank after 1 week without test kits is wrong I think. I wish you the best, butt I will be keeping an eye out for your post on what's wrong with your tank.

rattlyfuture

I had success doing the same thing. I Bought a 30 gallon Tank from a friend, Went to the LFS bought some live sand ( 1 Bag) a shell and a ceramic hut, A stars and stripes puffer, niger trigger and a snowflake eel, got back to the office put the sand in and pre-mixed salt water from the LFS ( $1 a gallon) add ornaments and fish. Never had any problem other than sunlight turning water green. Moved tank out of direct light and clear water. Ne testing no fussing no problems. The only thing that has died is when a co-worker bought some damsels and put them in the tank and the trigger killed them the next day. Clean up crew 2 crabs, boi-wheel filter , a little carbon and krill every other day. fish are growing rapidly going to have to get a larger tank soon but that is expected when they grow. Another guy bought a 150 gallon tank and been trying to cycle it for two months now with little luck. He didn't belive my water could be stableized when his is not. So he brought his testing kit to work and tested my water and everything is right where it should be and it has been 5 weeks since I have done a water change. I think there are a few peopel who take some of these things too seriously. animals are hardier than you think.

jake22

My tank is still fine my mandarin is still alive. Its one of those tiny green ones. I was trying to give an example of a tank that took one week to cycle. If you start with 1 pound of live rock for every gallon of water, live sand and already mixed water the cycle takes much less time. My tanks is doing extremely good with no fish deaths. I have only lost one peppermint shrimp because he was attacked by my sally light foots after he molted. i also have a sea horse that is doing great.