Just starting the new tank Please help me!!!

y2jason2333

Hello,
I just put some crushed coral at the bottom of my tank and the water is really cloudy. I know the water is suppose to mature, but is this suppose to be like this? Just curious! Thanks alot and have a good day!
Jason

fishin family

We are starting a 125 and added 100#'s of cc even though we rinsed it, it was still cloudy for 2-3 days. Water is crystal clear now in its 5th day Good luck

andymi

Sometimes it takes a while. You will hear this 100 times over. This hobby takes patience. From the very start on out, always be patient and never ever rush putting things into your tank. If you rush, you will lose more money. It may not be much to look at in the beginning , but the long term benefits are awesome :)
--Andy

jwalters77

I definitly agree with Andy...Take your time!! I wasted about 250-300 bucks because I was in a hurry to get my tank going...But I slowed down and read some of the posts on this site and asked a lot of questions..Now my tank is up and running again and I much happier with it...
good luck and keep us posted :cool:

I'M ALSO A BEGINNER. THEY'RE RIGHT, TAKE YOUR TIME. I ALSO HAVE A 125GAL TANK WITH CRUSHED CORAL. TO MAKE A LONG STORY SHORT I RUSHED THINGS AND I JUST LOST MY GROUPER. I ALSO HAVE A PUFFER THAT SURVIVED. THE WATER WAS NOT MATURED AND I WENT OUT AND SPENT $250.00 DOLLARS ON FISH.
MY NITRITES ARE HIGH DUE TO THE CRUSHED CORAL. I JUST REMOVED 80% OF IT TONIGHT,SO BE CAREFUL AND ONCE AGAIN TAKE YOUR TIME.

guppie

I have used cc in my tanks for a long time, and never had a problem with it. It is alot easier to clean. I did use sand in my 125 fo, and it has worked well. Sometimes even when you rince the cc well it will cause clouding in the tank, this will go away in a couple days, you will want to rince out any filter spounges you have because they will be full of the crap that has made your tank cloudy. Good Luck

pufferlover

I to am a CC type of guy (all my tanks have it even the reef). I found a secret way to get rid of that dust you get with the first set up which I will sell you the secret (oh heck I'll give it to you since your a board member lol). I have one of those Whisper Diatomagic filters that I just adore for cleaning up a tank or getting rid of cloudy water or even algae blooms. When I first set up a tank I can wash that CC till I amblue in the face and the minute you start to fill the tank the dust cloud comes. I just finish the tank hang the filter on the front for about a hour and the water is crystal clear. I also use it about once a month when I clean the big Dogface Puffs tank to get all the dust out it causes by chewing on the CC to polish its teeth (it is a very vain Puffer you see).

I WENT WITH A SAND BED AT FIRST BECAUSE I HAD PLAN TO GET A BLUE SPOTTED STING RAY. I THEN WENT WITH CRUSHED CORAL BECAUSE IT GIVES THE TANK A BETTER LOOK. I DID NOT KNOW ABOUT THE MAINTENENCE.
I TOOK EVERY THING OUT THE TANK BECAUSE EVERYTIME I EXPLAINED MY NITRITE PROBLEM SOME TOLD ME ONE THING AND OTHERS TOLD ME ANOTHER SO I TOOK EVERYTING OUT AND LET MY WATER CYCLE WITHOUT DECORATIONS AND CC.