Just starting

mikefish12

I'm just starting out, i'm going to buy a tank and a whole setup, live rock and everything. the reason i'm getting a tank, is i saw a 18" shark in like a 900 gallon tank and wanted to get a shark for in my house. There's deffinately no room for a 900 gallon tank,and not in my budget either(i'm 15). what would be the best shark to start out with and what size tank, and how much. wow that was a lot of questions, but if anyone could help me out i would be really grateful.

lilstrup

i would start with a 220 gal and put a bamboo shark in the bamboo shark would be about 40 depending where u buy it from

cincyreefer

A bamboo would be the easiest to start out with, but you will need a minimum of 180 gallon tank, plus all the goodies needed to run it. You would probably be looking to spend around $2000 depending on how much you can DIY or find used.

mikefish12

thats like twice what i was thinking about, i guess i'll just start out wit like a 70 gallon tank and some fish, maybe move up to a larger tank and a shark:D

howardcu

Even a 70 gallon will cost well over a $1000 depending on what you want. Live rock alone for a tank that size will run $500 or more and that is if you get a good price and only 100lbs or so. Plus you will need lights and if you plan on any corals they will be much more. Not to mention a stand and canopy and protien skimmer. Maybe even an overflow box or a drilled tank with a sump and a pump to run that. Oh yeah and a few powerheads for current. Unless you have a really great job at 15, I think you should probably look at the nano tanks and even then it will be around $500 to $1000 after it is all said and done.

mikefish12

lol job thats pretty funny, i have really great parents. I already have a tank and stuff so i'm just gonna go nano for now with coral possibly after a month or two of liverock and a cleaning crew. Hopefully my parents will like the fish tank enough to think about a bigger one.

sharksbait

I would suggest a Bala shark or rainbow shark in a 55 gallon FW setup and then get some saltwater experience before you go and try to attempt something like a shark........