Just the begining

R

r&thutsell

Hello All,
My wife and I are doing the research for are new marine tank. I have never had a tank before and am planning to buy my first in june. I have heard from many peaple that bigger is better. Other than budget restraints is there such a thing as to big for a beginner? I have my heart set on a 210 gallon tank. If all the proper equipment is purchased along with a tank this size can a beginner handle it? My hopes are to start with a fish only tank until I get a good grasp on everything then later move to some sort of mixed tank. This is an exciting yet challenging endevor and any help will be appreciated.
Thank you Richard

doodle1800

In my opinion the only risk you'll be taking with a big tank is the money you spend, you'll spend more of course than a smaller tank, obviously. But the bigger the easier maybe. Smaller tanks are tough to keep, larger water parameter swings and such. I wouldn't be afraid to go large. If you go small, you'll regret it maybe later and want to go larger.... am I making sense or lots of double talk :)

pacopetty

I agree with Doodle. I think!
This is one hobby where bigger is probably easier. Just make sure you buy quality equipment, go slow and did I mention READ!
Good luck.

fire30b

I think if you have the money to maintain a 210 gal tank, go for it. Just start off slow and be patient. The only think I see that would be a pain will be the water changes, only because your dealing with alot of water. Good Luck

rbmount

Welcme! I agree with all above. The most important thing is Research,and Patience. Good things happen slowly, while bad things happen real fast. Don't hesitate to jump in here and read and ask any questions, No matter if you think they are dumb because they're not. We are glad you are here!

barry cuda

Having just finished cycling a 100g that is my first tank, I don't have any regrets at all about going with a relatively large tank. The only issue has been slightly higher cost for bigger/more powerful equipment and, of course, more salt mix :)
If you can get it, the Ocean View 5-ft 100gal tank comes cheaper with a stand than many smaller tanks without, and I have no complaints so far about the tank.