Just Thinking Question.....

acez28

My LFS sales some clownfish that already has hosted in an anemone. My question is, If you bought that would you QT them both together or just QT the clown and put the anemone in your display. I mean if you didnt QT them together would the clown have to rehost with the anemone. Would the clown forget where its host.

bang guy

I might get slammed, but if I were introducing a clown with it's host I would make sure it had been at the LFS for over a week and then I would take the risk and introduce it directly to the display.

leigh

I'd definitely put the anemone right in after acclimating. Every time you make let go of what it's attached to you risk injuring it...I just wouldn't put it in the q-tank to avoid having to move it yet one more time. I wouldn't be so worried about the hosting thing. Personally I had good luck when I had a clown/anemone pair--mine hosted in 10 minutes having come from a different tank as the anemone. It seems like most people's host within a month...so even if your worst case scenario is that your clown doesn't take right to it after quarantine at least you know the clown likes that anemone and will host with time. That'd be my take at least...just my opinion though--Guy knows his stuff so I'm not normally one to disagree with him.
hope that helps,
leigh

wrassecal

What kind of clown is it? What kind of anenome is it?
I think both Leigh and Bang Guy could be right. Although, Leighs is certainly the safest route re: the fish carrying any parasites or disease. For instance, if it's a condy and a false perc, you might find your perc hosting a powerhead instead of the anenome. Or if it's a maroon clown or a tomato clown and a bubbletip the fish will most likely take to the anenome again and usually fairly quickly.