Just want to know what this is

thud

aiptasia, remove it.
Most aquarists consider the Aiptasia Anemone to be an unwanted pest in their aquariums. Once Aiptasia gain a foothold in your tank, they can be tough to get rid of.

kilhullen

Originally Posted by thud
aiptasia, remove it.
Why remove it? I have read some people being distraught when the aiptasia is eaten - is it bad?

crimzy

That is aptaisia and, while is is not necessarily harmful by itself, it will spread like a weed. Most people use Joes Juice or lemon juice to kill them. Also could get peppermint shrimp or copperband butterfly to eat them.

turningtim

The issue is they reproduce once they get going. It should be removed ASAP. You either remove the rock and run under hot water. Or use a concentrate of Kalk in a syringe and shoot it in the mouth (center). There are some critters that eat it but usually only when its small.
Besides all that they're UGLY!

am00re34

i dont know... it looks like it might be a small feather duster. The picture isnt great so its hard to tell. A good way to find out is run you hand by it and if it disappears back into the rock its just a feather duster and are actually filter feeders and good. if not its probably aptaisia and you can remove with one of the ways already mentioned

kilhullen

Originally Posted by NigerBang
Aip..Without a doubt...Get a small syringe and inject it with lemon juice..
Is the lemon juice because it is acidic, or is it because of some other reason - or do we even know why it works?

kilhullen

Originally Posted by FireRescue
well I just went to poke it and is disappeared into a tube or something, does this change what it is
They said it would be a feather duster or some other type of filter feeder in this case (as I understood what Am00re34 said), and a feather duster is good.

autofreak44

Originally Posted by Kilhullen
Is the lemon juice because it is acidic, or is it because of some other reason - or do we even know why it works?
yes most likely because its acidic

turningtim

Its not a duster, its AIP no doubt. It is rooted further down on the rock and is retreating. It may be tough to shoot it. If you can pull the rock out w/o major trauma run it under hot water until you see fall off. Just do the spot where it is and remember where it is b/c out of the water it will deflate and hard to see.........

am00re34

i still dont agree thats its AIP 100%, is it colorful or just a plain white? I have small dusters all over my tank, but most of them are greenish in color. All the AIP I have seen is white in color.

symon

From what i could tell it was Aptasia, and yes it is rooted in the rock and will evade you , that's why the kalk (joes juice works well, it is very heavy and will fall into the spot where the Aptasia is until it reopens and sucks it in! DEAD !

trippkid

It is definately Apitasia, be careful if using Joe's Juice, it can kill surrounding corals also. They come in a variety of shades of green,brown,white, or clear.

sk8shorty01

Apitasia is definitely what you have. Some people do keep them, but the problem is that they grow all over the place and take over because most of the time there is nothing in the tank that will combat them. I would say get rid of it using the juice or get a shrimp to take care of it for you.

spanko

Grab that rock if you can and get it out of the tank and nuke that sucker with the hottest water you can boil and put in a syringe. If you can't get the rock out just nuke it with the hot water in the tank via the syringe. (best to do it outside of the tank though if you can.