just wanted to share some new pics

ophiura

Fantastic!!!!!!!
Hey, how is the star doing??
LUUUUVVVVVV the lionfish!!!
:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
I wish there was a tank around when we were buying the house. All the extra options we got were ugly carpet and pee stains (from their dogs). :D

murph145

lol yeah the tank was the only cool thing.... but it really didnt look good at the time.... wish i had a pic from when i first got it.... it had some of those fake corals in it and thats it all algaed up and 40 watts of lighting lol....
ive added a lot more since then but oh well it was worth it.... kinda keeps me busy so i dont get bored when i get home from work....
the star is doing really good buy the way Ophiura.... he moves all over the tank.... ive seen it actually eat some of the sponges and such that i have growing on my live rock so i know its eating something.... but yeah hes doing excellent still wish i knew what it was....

jer4916

Hello,
I love the way your tank looks and your fish are so beautiful!!!
but im wondering...why is your sand bed so thick?
~chris :jumping:

ophiura

While it is open to debate, a deep sand bed is often in the 4-6" range and I imagine that is what murph was after.

murph145

Jer4916
Hello,
I love the way your tank looks and your fish are so beautiful!!!
but im wondering...why is your sand bed so thick?
~chris
well the sane bed is thick for a couple reasons.... first i like the asthetic appeal to it and also it helps to hide the filtration system.... my tank was designed to pull water through the sand bed through 4 holes drilled into the bottom of the tank then feed into my 2 fluval 404's which then return it back through the top of the tank via a spray bar and a return nozel.... now there is an egg crate kinda base under the sand with a fine mesh covering to stop any sand particles from entering the filter system.... the egg crate is about 2 inches high and about an inch from the outside of the tanks glass..... so when you add sand sand falls on the sides of the eggs crate and covers around the sides to hide it.... the sand bed is probably about 3 inches thick but with the added eggcrate underneath it appears to be about 5" inches deep.... i added a lilttle more for my jaw fish also since he likes to burrow
under things to make his home.... i hope this helps to explain it better....
kaseykagan
What size tank do you have and what do you have on it for lights?
as for the tank is a 100 gallon its measurements are 60" wide X 24" high X 16" deep
i have my canopy packed with lights i had some from my previous canopy then i bought more..... they are all power compact and in total i have 470 watts i want to get a bigger tank one day and when i do that i will invest in the MH/PC retro system.... i put a few pics of the lights so u can see what i did...
seeweed
i guess the lion fish doesn't botherthe others?
no he hasnt bothered a thing since he has been in there .... he lets the skunk cleaner shrimp clean him a few times a day too but the shrimp is a decent size so i dont think he looks at him like food.... i made a mistake one time of buying a cute little panther grouper that became big in a hurry and ate one of my $30 red sexy shrimps!!! i was kinda irratated since the shrimp was the same size as the fish i couldnt believe he managed to swallow it ... but the legs were still hanging out the mouth lol :yes:

fireykat04

As usual the pics are beautiful Murph!!! My luck with my tank hasn't been going so well. That is one kewl lion though!!! :yes:

murph145

thanks alot KDFrosty!!!!
im gonna go to the LFS right now and see what they have for new corals lol.... i just got my brain this week im looking for something red or blue this time lol/...
ill show some pics if i get something!!!! :joy:

jer4916

murph,
what kind of lion is that?...is he truely reef safe?...will he eat verts?...clowns...etc?
~chris

murph145

a lot of people have questioned me about him.... h*
its a fuzzy dwarf lion fish.... "dendrochirus brachypterus"
it gets to a maximum length of 6 inches... mines about 3 and has stayed that way for a while....
found in the Indo-Pacific region,
needs a minumum aquarium size of 30 gallon
it likes meaty foods such as marine fish, brine shrimp, mysid shrimp, krill, squid, live grass shrimp or feeder fish.... feed 3-4 times per week....
its venomous but a relatively peaceful fish that is reef safe to a point .... larger ones may eat ornamental shrimp or smaller fish .... "mine has never looked at my skunk cleaner or any of my smaller damsils.... in fact he hasnt done one thing in 6 months since ive had him to make me think hes not reef safe.... i would think that it would be best to have all new shrimp and smaller fish introduced to the tank before you put him in... i would put him last so that way he wouldnt see any of the smaller items as food..."
this fish is natrualy reclusive during day time and likes many hiding spots.... often times hard to get to eat frozen prepared foods....and in reef aquariums will most of the time spend swimming in the open....
my dwarf eats all the frozen foods i put in there right away from meaty foods to greens.... hes always swimming around and comes right to the glass when u look at him.... overall hes a great addition i think to my tank adds a lot of nice color and charecter ....