Just wondering

sid2003

I was wondering what would happen if you let a fish go in the ocean would it survive? Would contrasting environments kill the fish? Would living in captivity affect the fish?

standish

I guess if it were a wild-caught fish, it may still know how to survive. An aqua-cultured fish probably wouldn't have a prayer.
And in any case, it is illegal to release your fish into the ocean.

T

tizzo

Because our government system is on a power trip. Who knows why half the things that are illegal are? That's just how iit is in our free country.LOL: :notsure:

h2oengr

Because many of our fish are exotics - in the everglades, the oscars are slowly taking over. I was down there about 2 months ago and they are all over the canals now. They are crowding out the native fish - outcompeting. We (Floridians) have seen this with tree species including the brazialian pepper, malalueca and australian pine. All these trees are exotic and are crowding out the native species.
That's why. :nope:

fshhub

Originally posted by Sid2003
I was wondering what would happen if you let a fish go in the ocean would it survive? Would contrasting environments kill the fish? Would living in captivity affect the fish?

it might
they could and
it may
as to illegal, laws vary by region
however, releassing a fish or anything into the envirometn can cause havoc, esp if it isnot originally form that region. many times they do not have enemies or predators to control them. and may upset the eco system.
calupera algae off the west coast
volitan lionfish off the east coast
brown snakes they literally destroyed all the bird life in guam
and oscars in the everglades
all good examples.

pufferman

Even if you release your fish back to the sea, they're most likely to not survive for long because most parts of U.S. are in the temperate zone, not tropical. Most of them would die immediately upon release from a thermal shock (of course, you won't be acclimating your fish when you try to release it). Even if they survive, they will not cause much damage...since there are many natural predators out there.........also minimal chance of reproduction....because of no same species of opposite ---.......etc......Anyway, bottom line...never release your livestock to the ocean unless they were locally collected.....