Juv. imperator angel

corky

Is it normal for a small juv. imperator angel who is slowly swimming around to just kinda stop on top of some rocks and just sit there for a while(is this part of their personality, possibly meditating on it's goals and aspirations?)? Or does that mean there is something wrong with him?

Most of the time these fish during the day hours usually stay very active. What are you feeding it, your water levels? How big is the tank? Fish must stay in some kind of motion inorder to breathe, so rarely do they completely stop swimming, even when they sleep (they barely move, but still are moving)
~~Megan

mr . salty

I believe a shark is the only fish that must move to breath. Other fish breath by opening and closing thier gill plates thus drawing water in through thier mouth. As for the angel, He should be OK,Keep an eye on him.HOW OLD IS THE TANK??STEVE

M

mitch24

Don't tell that to my huma huma

He locks himself in and won't move an inch until the lights come on :)
I love that guy!!!

jimi

I believe Steve is correct on sharks being the only fish needing to move to breath. My emperor will often sit for a little while in between two rocks. He also swims sideways at times like he is just gliding around. If yours is eating and has good color I would not worry about it.

mr . salty

I had an Emperor awhile ago and he would hangout in the rocks all the time.Good luck with yours.They are a very cool,and VERY expensive fish.STEVE

I'm sorry, what I meant is don't they have to keep those fins right beside their gills in constant motion, and thats how they pump the air. Not that the fish must always be moving, but those fins at least do. I am very sorry for giving incorrect information, I will check my source better next time!
~~Megan

mr . salty

Dont be sorry,a simple mistake. And they pump water through the gills by moving the gill plates. The fins are for swimming only.STEVE