k another question bout to go to the lfs

gfk

will emerald or scarlet hermit crabs be able to go in with blue leggers?
also, i was tihnking of getting a star fish, would a small linkia blue or orange, be ok in a 20 gallon that is not that well established?

mudplayerx

All the hermits and the emerald crab will get along fine.
As far as the starfish, I wouldn't get it. The blue linkia needs a large tank and is hard to keep alive.

mudplayerx

I have blues, scarlets, greens and none of them quarrel. The blue legs are said to sometimes be destructive to corals, but this is just a myth in my opinion.

pontius

in most cases, red legs are bigger than blue legs, so the blue legs usually know not to mess with them. I've never seen emeralds fight anything, but I definately think they could hold their own.
another note on crabs, if anybody evers gets a chance to own a porcelain crab, DO IT, because they are awesome. I got one off this site over a month ago. I generally don't have a lot of luck with inverts. after a day, the porcelain went missing and I later assumed it was dead. earlier this week, it shows up on a rock, eating away. it stayed in the same spot for 2 days, eating and watching the fish swim by. it's cool to watch it eat, and in my opinion, it is by far the prettiest of crabs. if/when I order from here again, I'm going to get 5 more.

mombostic

The star fish is probably a no in a tank that small, even after it is well established. They need lots of live rock and space in a thoroughly matured system to live, or else they will slowly starve to death over the course of time. One of the moderators knows loads about stars and can probably recommend a more suitable species for your tank.

gfk

i went with
1 sally lightfoot crab
5 more astrea snails
3 scarlet hermit crabs
so now i have
1 sally lightfoot
8 astrea snails
3 scarlets
3 blue leggers
1 peppermint shrimp
4 nassarius
this enough?

murph145

i have a blue legged hermit and him and one of my bigger red leggeers got into it.... i think the red legger chased him down and he actually stole his shell from him..... now they swiped shells
so i think the red leggers are more aggressive when they get bigger....

mudplayerx

Hermit crabs do not get aggressive towards one another. It is common to mistake their actions as agression, but I assure you that they will not attack each other or steal shells.
If the hermits switched shells, they both did so mutually.
When I first started with hermit crabs I thought they were agressive little buggers too, but I have never once found a dead or injured hermit, so I'm fully convinced that they are docile.

gfk

so you think my cleanup crew is ok?
i still have some brown dust/dirt lookin stuff from my cycle, i imagine it will take them a while to take care of all of it? how long til they normally get the tank lookin clean?

mudplayerx

I think hobbyists mistake crabs' roles in the reef aquariums. While they are great detrivores and will keep the sandbed clear of most uneaten food or dead matter, their value in cleaning algae is limited.
By limited, I mean that I have yet to find a species of crab that will take a piece of brown or green sand and turn it white. Their main algae consumption seems to be limited to fillaments and fuzzy type algae... and sometimes they don't even eat all of that.
The snails on the other hand will eat all types of algae as they have radioles (I think thats what they are called). Radioles are like miniture cheese graters that they use to scrape algae from the surfaces of things. While my mexican turbo snails do clean the sand, they clean it about 1/4th as quickly as they clean the glass and rock (for obvious reasons).
I would have to say that the best creature for keeping a sand bed clean is the sea cucumber. However, you have to get one that is a detrivore, not a filter feeder. Sea cucumbers are cheap ($14 for a six incher), and require no attention or feeding once you dump them into the tank. They don't even require drip acclimation!

mudplayerx

They say no more than three inches of cucumber per 25-30 gallon so I wouldn't get more than 10 inches of cucumbers.
Doesn't sound like a lot, but these things constantly eat and poop sand, it is like a sausage factory, in one end, out the other.

gfk

i dont think a sea cucumber would be good for my 20 gallon
so i was just staring at my tank full of crabs and snails, watchin them work away. my question is, how long do i wait for them to clean up the aftermath of my cycle before i put some algae sheets in there for them? should i wait til it looks pretty clean? there still seems to be some dirty crap from the diatoms layin around

rtmarecaux

Personally, I would drop the sally lightfoot because this will later attack any fish you add in there. The blue legs and reds are fine. You should get a cucumber because they are great. If anyone in Mass is selling one I'd gladly pick it up right now. Lastly, add maybe 1 Mexican Turbo for a week or so, he will get rid of you diatoms in no time at all!!
Good Luck
Bobby

gfk

they were out of turbos, got a pair of percs, and what do you know my sally lightfoot has shown a lovely interest in following them around.
im not sure how id go about catching him however. i have a net, but i dont want to have to move my live rock around