K...what do you think?

jden092901

I have a 120 gallon reef that is up and running now. I want to have 3 tangs. I would like a Blue Hippo, Red Sea Sailfin Tang, and a Lieutenant Tang (Tennenti tang). They are all diff species and I have read a TON about these and all would go well in my 120. I just want to see what you all think...
Thank you so much,
Joshua

E

eric b 125

how long is your 120? 48" right? i have three tangs in my 125 but it's 6 feet long so that gives the fish an extra 2 feet of swimming space.

jden092901

yes...however, mine is deeper and taller. I guess i'll just try it out. I do have a really nice skimmer (almost over skimming if there is such a thing, lol).

salt life

Originally Posted by jden092901
http:///forum/post/3033678
yes...however, mine is deeper and taller. I guess i'll just try it out. I do have a really nice skimmer (almost over skimming if there is such a thing, lol).
having a nice skimmer doesn't do much when you have 3 tangs fighting over territory, I really wouldn't try it, I would maybe go for 2 of the smaller species, the lieutenant tang max's out at 10 inches so I wouldn't add that one.

ophiura

Deeper and taller means nothing to tangs I'm afraid. I do not think you have the tank for 3 tangs.

salt life

Originally Posted by SALAMI TRIGGER
http:///forum/post/3033707
I'm afraid the Tang Police will be on their way soon!
not to be rude or anything but the tang police thing is really old. If he wants to cram 3 tangs into his tank that is unsuitable then he can do whatever he wants but if your gonna do it anyway then what is the point of asking if it would be ok? It is a 120g so he can have atleast one tang but just not all three that he wants.

salt life

http:///forum/post/3033945
OH
Just joined last month...
Didnt realize we are not doin the Tang Police thing any more.
you can do it if you want but I don't think any of us were "policing" him with our answers. but anyway I am not arguing the point to you I am just saying in general.
Is that your clown trig in your avatar?

No I know...
The other day someone posted that Tang Police thing..thought it was funny.
I am amazed at how some people really get passionate about certain topics...you know...
Not my clown but had one for three years about 7" man that was an awesome fish.

salt life

http:///forum/post/3033949
No I know...
The other day someone posted that Tang Police thing..thought it was funny.
I am amazed at how some people really get passionate about certain topics...you know...
Not my clown but had one for three years about 7" man that was an awesome fish.
danggg 7" is a nice size, they get even more nicer looking when they are that size.

jden092901

First of all, I want you to know I DO value all of your input! The only reason I get self-protective is by the way some people react to your questions. It seems “everything” in this hobby is “impossible” to keep…if that was the case, why are there so many of us taken away by this hobby. Some people think of keeping the tang for years and years (very long term). I won’t do that if it starts to outgrow my tank. I was just asking which would be best, and yes, I didn’t ask in the most effective way (after reading the post). The question I intended asking was which would be better fit together…a blue hippo with a red sea sailfin tang or blue hippo with a Tennenti tang. If I decided I want 3 tangs, and that’s IF, it would be a small yellow eye Kole tang. Anyhow, just want you to know I do thank everyone for there help; it just gets old when everyone is so darn negative all the time. People come here for help, not to be chastised.
Thank you,
Joshua

jackri

I have a yellow tang (3 1/2") and a yellow blue hippo tang (4 1/2") in my 90g (yeah that's right). During QT the yellow belly blue hippo tang was in with my sailfin in a 3 x 4 foot frag tank... the blue hippo actually nipped at the sailfin's fins a bit... NEVER utilized any room whatsoever in the larger swimming area and layed behind a rock.
In my main tank he casually swims throughout the whole water column UP and ACROSS just like my yellow tang.
Yes a bigger tank would be ideal but they are both healthy and I'm happy :p

ophiura

There are many different philosophies on keeping pets.
You can cram whatever you want in your tank, but don't necessarily delude yourself that everything is healthy and in the best conditions. We have a natural tendancy to do this. Look on the board for how many threads are on something being KILLED rather than it dying. We hope to believe it was happy and killed, rather than the thought it died for some reason.
One thing I especially see in tanks is that the fish may not grow...or they may outgrow the tank and no one realizes it. Fish do not grow to their tank size so if it is not outgrowing the tank - there is a problem and they are not healthy. So therefor you want them to outgrow the tank, so you will have to trade them in or get a larger tank. If neither of those are options, you should reconsider your fish choice.
The counterpoint to the tang police argument is "its not the ocean anyway" and that is equally unproductive. there is a middle ground. Kole tangs and their relatives are fantastic, IMO, for that tank size and very much underrated. They are "rock huggers" as opposed to open water swimmers.
If anyone comes to ask, I intend to tell them my ideas and opinions. You can do whatever you want with that, but you'll still hear it, regardless of what you want to hear. I assume that is the point of asking. IMO, a 4' tank is not suitable for 3 tangs, long term, regardless of how many people have done it successfully.
I do ask people to go to their local aquarium where there is a big tank with tangs in it - often hippos, unicorns, nasos, sailfins...see how big they are, how much ground they cover in a single direction before turning...and then make a decision. You may still be fine with putting them in your 4' tank, its up to you. But do be open to doing something different, and do understand that you will have to do something eventually because the fish SHOULD outgrow the tank.

jden092901

Thank you for your response! That was positive and informative. I appreciate that! Yellow eye kole tangs are really nice looking, I think.
Thanks again,
Joshua

ophiura

In addition, do note that tangs actually put a pretty high biological load on a tank. If you want a good reef tank, then it may not be the best plan either.

jden092901

I have read that before...My wife is more into tangs then I am...She said if I upgraded from my 29 gallon I would have to have a blue hippo. I'll just get a very small one and when he starts to grow up I'll get a larger tank or give him to a friend. Im more of a wrasse guy and small gobies.

ophiura

The small blue tangs have a dismal survival rate. Please do not start with the very small one's.