Kalk

nybyrne

I got my Calcuim up to 460 by dripping Kalk. So now that it is where I want it, am I supposed to continue to drip kalk to cover evap loss or do nothing until it drops?

yosemite sam

You should continue to drip, but use a less concentrated solution. You'll have to do some experimenting to find the proper amount that will maintain your calcium levels.

K

ken the newbe

i have been using kalk for aprox 1 week now --slow drip in a 45 gal tank. how long until i see a rise in calc. i have been checking all my readings and nothing yet

snakeblitz33

460 isn't that bad, I would keep dosing two tablespoons per gallon, and do not up it unless you have a lot of stony corals that need the extra calcium. Test your calcium to make sure that it's not over 500.
Do not use a calcium test kit until after you stop dripping kalkwasser and wait about two hours. You will get a more accurate reading.
Have fun.

viper_930

Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33
460 isn't that bad, I would keep dosing two tablespoons per gallon, and do not up it unless you have a lot of stony corals that need the extra calcium. Test your calcium to make sure that it's not over 500.
The kalk solution is fully saturated at about two tea
spoons per gallon and no more kalk will dissolve unless you're also using vinegar.

snakeblitz33

Oh, wow. I'm glad you caught that Viper. Yes, it is two teaspoons. I use a half a teaspoon measureing spoon when I add kalk to a gallon of water.
I guess I should pay more attention to answering questions when I am on here instead of watching T.V.