Kalkwasser alternatives?

jeg

I wanted to know if anyone out there has good coraline growth without the use of Kalkwasser. I have heard that Kalkwasser is superior to other products, but the fact that it has to be drip dosed rather than just added directly to the tank, makes it less attractive. Any thoughts?

josh

Hi,
I don't drip kalk, I just use seachem reef advantage calcium. But to tell the truth with regualr water changes you won't have to worry too much about it. The kalk does others things then add calcium, it keeps the pH stable and the Alk as well. But like I said I never have and my tank is purple!!!!
Josh

predator

Never touched the stuff. I use alot of additives but the one I favor is Kent Marines Tech CB. This stuff is great.I'v had no problems with my calcium(500) and it's kept my ph at 8.2 and my alk between 8 to 10 dkh.I also use Strontium, Essential Elements, Coral Accel, Tech I, Tech M, coral vite and phytoplex.Some say it's to much. But it works for me and I get all I want free!!!!

captained

I'd say that dripping kalk vs. using Tech CB or a combo of other stuff has 2 advantages: First, the constant supply you get in a drip keeps levels stable across the day. If you read the directions on Kent's Turbo Calcium is says that you can add the crystls right to the tank, just be sure they don't land on a fish since they get HOT when they first hit the water and could burn it- nothing like throwing hot coals at your critters!
Secondly, there is cost. Tech CB costs abut $50/year for 50 gallon tank, and kalk costs about $5/year, which means it doesn't take long to recover the cost of a doser.
I would never argue with sucess, just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents worth since I've done both, and found it harder to keep the calcium and pH stable using additives.

mal

I use kent turbo calcium and super buffer. Great growth and speading. I have never tried kalk so I have no info or opinion there. Capt'n Ed is right, the turbo is bad if it lands on stuff undisolved, but I dose in my sump, if you have no sump you can just mix it with a cup of tank water for a few, then add it.

fishfreek

predator, how do you manage to get your kent products for free??? Do work for kent or a LFS? Just curious.

fshhub

never used anything except salt, and alk buffer(for the obvious reasons),and we got good growth, we will start adding more stuff late, when we get corals(if need be), but our calcium is 350

predator

Fish Freak, I do work for a lfs. We carry only saltwaterfish and corals as well as all the dry goods. My boss and I are the only ones who work there. He sent me to a Kent Marine seminar. It lasted two days and when it was over we were able to sign up for a mailing list. I signed up for everything and turns out I get free Kent products!!! Boss was pretty up-set, not really. He just wished he had gone instead. They send me products every month. I get all the stuff listed above as well as shirts and specials.