Kalkwasser not working

pallan

Originally Posted by boostin240
If you get really high calcium levels, why do you drip kalk still? Im just trying to figure all this out.
i drip kalk to maintain ph and alk levels. which i never could keep up until i got the stirrer. ph was always 8 or lower, and kh was always low. now ph stays at 8.3 all day long and kh is up around 9.9 or 10
lowest ive ever seen my calcium was 450 but generally it runs around 475 to 500 this has been that way since i switched from red sea salt to ocienic.

S

saltfreak4

Again they are all related. I was wondering from the original poster what size take he/she had, and how much they dripped and how much kalk they used to make the drip water. A kalk drip will most certainly increase your pH and your Ca. The separate equilibrium of alkalinity should respond as well, but it's because you are upsetting the pH and the Ca in directly in the kalk drip.
I don't know why that amount of kalk did nothing for your calcium level and didn't really bring up you pH either (it should have done both). How many corals that are calcium consumers are in the tank? Really think your pH should have increased even if the calcium is being consumed, but still should not be that fast. Your pH is a little on the low side. I try to keep mine at 8.2.
Sorry, it works for me, hope when you switch salts it helps.