Kalkwasser Question

hifi

Im running a 230g mixed reef with a 60g sump & Im slowly getting into sps. I do a water change of 50g every 2-3 weeks & my calc is still dropping to 420. I have been adding calc & would like it at least at 450. I want to go with kalk to aid my tank. I want to plumb it inline with my auto top off & Im wondering if its to much kalkwasser with a evap rate of 2-3g per day? If I plumb it this way with my top up going through a kalk stirer could it be to much? I will be getting a calc reactor but thats not till fall/winter.
I know lots of people plumb it this way but Im wondering with a high evap rate can you over do it? Or can you control the amount of kalkwasser going into your tank?

J

jrthomas40

i am surprised no one has chimed in here.... i cant help but i hope some one can cuz i would like to know

sh00tist

Ive been dripping kalk for about a month now through my ATO. You control the amount of kalk by adjusting your solution. For instance I use Mrs.Wages pickling lime,available at Kroger,other stores and online. 2 Tsp. in one gallon of water will give you a saturated solution. So if you put in 3 tsp. one tsp.would simply sink to the bottom. That being said I started out with 1 tsp. of lime per gallon,and I evaporate about 1-1.5 gallons per day. This keeps my numbers pretty stable. The amount you use will vary depending on the calcium demands of your tank as well as the amount that evaporates. If you have a ton of corals dripping kalk may not be enough to keep your numbers where you want them,in addition you may have to add vinegar to keep your ph from getting out of hand. When you start dripping you really have to montier your numbers closely for the first week or two and adjust the molarity or concentration of kalk in your solution. There is a chemistry forum at -- that really explains all fo the parameters quite clearly if you are willing to do the reading,right when you enter the chemistry forum page click on 'chemistry articles' stickyed at the top. It really is a good idea to understand the chemistry before you start doing the experiment on your tank inhabitants.

J

jrthomas40

well...that is fairly interesting...i dripped kalk before but never did the chemistry research i would mix 5 gallons of kalk water and drip about a gallon of that every week but the 5 gallons was per the directions of the kalkwasser and a LFS...maybe i will try making it like you say a few gallons at a time enough to use in about 2 weeks or so