KALKWASSER QUESTION

reefman812

HEY GUYS I JUST BOUGHT A BOX OF KALKWASSER DOES THIS STUFF REALY WORK AND CAN SOMEONE REALLY TELL ME THE RIGHT WAY TO DOES IT AND DOES IT REALLY MAKE CORALINE ALGAE GROW CUZ I'M STILL SKEPTICAL

I use Kent's Kalkwasser. I mix one "good" tea spoon in a gallon of DO water. I rigged me up a rubber maid tank with a valve on it. I do this once a week, and crack the valve so it is just drip.................drip...............drip, well you get the idea. Only mix enuf for one dose, because I have been told that it will "Go Bad" Also, when you mix it, do your best to NOT introduce any air to the water, I have been told that is bad too.
I have seen a rise in the coraline after doing this. I have also been told to put some coraline in the current and it will send the spores around your tank. I dunno about that thou....

nm reef

Kalkwasser is very effective at maintaining levels of calcium & alkalinity(needed for coraline growth)...plus it has the abality to precipatate phosphates out of your system. I use ball's pickling lime at 1 teaspoon per 1/2 gal of ro/di water nightly. Best to add slowly(I also use a DIY drip system)...kalk PH level is high so you want to avoid sudden PH swings....avoid adding the sediment from the bottom as well as the scum from the top. :cool:

bosco0633

What else can you use besides Kalkwaser. I here horror stories about this stuff. Right now I am using seachem liquid calcium and reef complete for calcium. Should I start using kalkwaser as well, my rocks are beginning to get really good color but it is not really thick as most would describe there coraline.

old hermit

i have some Kalkwaser and i dont use it either due to the bad stories. i just use kent liquid calcium an some thing called lime blok. since i have been adding them cal. stays at 450 and coralline is growing great. i only have a 29 gal so it dosent take much for me, im sure if i had a bigger tank that level would be harder to maintain with my method.

reefman812

Holy

[hr]
excuse the language but damn NM REEF YOUR TANK seems to show that Kalkwasser is working very nice and also thanks everyone thats friendly and replying to this, i'm sorry to bother you guys i just need to know because this is my first tank i have no experience god bless ya :)