Kalkwasser ?

morayeels

Whats up with using kalkwasser good or bad?
And how do I prepare the kalkwasser mix the directions on the kent marine container is unclear.
I just started a new stoney coral reef tank and is this something I sould be using?

reefchem

Originally Posted by morayeels
Whats up with using kalkwasser good or bad?
Depends upon why you're dosing it. Its normally not a bad thing if done properly.
And how do I prepare the kalkwasser mix the directions on the kent marine container is unclear.
To prepare a kalkwasser mixture, use 1 - 2 teaspoons of kalkwasser to 1 gallon of RO or distilled water. Remeber, a typical kalkwasser mix (1 tsp/gal) has a pH of about 12 - 12.5. So, start with 1 tsp and then raise it over time if you deem necessary.

I just started a new stoney coral reef tank and is this something I sould be using?
It depends on your current wate parameters. If you have stable, good paramters with your current dosing/water change routine, then there's really no need. I dose kalkwasser because my tank is in my basement and my pH is quite low(since there's not an abundant supply of fresh air down there). The kalkwasser helps me maintain a suitable pH.
Last Note:
Careful when dosing...do it slowly...drip it.