Kalkwasser

@knight

ok so let my ignorance talk for a second...
i have a 30 gal tank. of which, I estimate 20 gal is water. would I put 40 teaspoons in? sounds like a lot? or am I understanding the directions all wrong?
is there any harm with using kalk to raise the ph of makeup water, etc? or should it always be dripped?

@knight

i thought i saw a post from beth earlier today, asking if anyone was using the pickling lime.
just to let you know, i am going to try it. ill post any results when i notice them. this find motivated me almost as much as the southdown sand. Im doing the best I can to make this economical, and this is excellent news, as the cost is the only reason I havent been dosing calk in the past.

slash7

Originally posted by @knight:
<STRONG>ok so let my ignorance talk for a second...
i have a 30 gal tank. of which, I estimate 20 gal is water. would I put 40 teaspoons in? sounds like a lot? or am I understanding the directions all wrong?
is there any harm with using kalk to raise the ph of makeup water, etc? or should it always be dripped?</STRONG>
The 1-2 teaspoons of kalk is per gallon of freshwater that you are mixing it in. Generally, most people replace the water that is evaporated from their aquarium with kalkwasser. In other words, if you are making 1 gallon of kalkwasser, use 1-2 teaspoons of kalk powder to mix it. If your aquarium has 1/2 gallon a day of evaporation, you would replace this 1/2 gallon with kalkwasser instead of freshwater. And yes you do need to add the kalkwasser slowly or it can cause a big spike in your tank pH that may be harmful to your animals.

@knight

ok, thanks, dont know what i was smokin' when i read that. but it all makes sense now, wish me luck....im goin on day 2 with the pickling lime.
btw, how old do you think pickling lime is? my guess is 7000 years! j/k
:p
[ August 07, 2001: Message edited by: @knight ]