Keep pump off for 6-8 Hours?

zain

What would happen if you kept your pump off for 6-8 hours at night on a reef tank w/fish? Could it work if you pump air into the water so things can breathe? I know its a bad idea, I just want to know if it would be possible.

nordy

I would not recommend it-think about the ocean-waves are on during night time too. Circulation is especially critical for reef tanks; I keep all my pumps (4 Koralia 2's, 2 Koralia nanos, 1 350gph canister) on 24/7 for my 55 gal reef tank. My understanding about pumping air into SW is that it can be bad for fish, others will chime in about that hopefully.
Just curious-why are you thinking about doing it?

zain

Well I would keep the power heads on to keep the water moving. I just have a loud pump and would like it off while i sleep.

devil dog

Originally Posted by Zain
http:///forum/post/2588657
Well I would keep the power heads on to keep the water moving. I just have a loud pump and would like it off while i sleep.
Is it just your over flow pump? If it is and your heater was in your tank you should be fine
...I would not do it but I don't know your set up... But i would look at getting a new pump so you would not have to do that... or look at how you can make it not so loud...

zain

I think you're right. I will have to buy a new pump that is not so loud. I have a little giant pump.

sh00tist

You have a good pump there are some things you can do to quiet it down. Make sure it isnt touching the sides of your sump also place something under the pump like some rubber or some sort of sponge so it isnt resting directly on the sump the material will absorb the vibrations also in many occasions a pump will grow quite loud when it needs cleaned or if it is quite new and no slime layer has formed on the magnets. If you have exhausted all of these fixes allready then maybe a new pump should be on your shopping list.

puffer32

Thats the same pump I have in my sump/ Its right next to my chair and TV and doesn't make much noise at all when the stands doors are shut. You might want to try afew of the things other poster has mentioned before ditching it for a new one.