Keeping a journal

flydan

Hey,
I was curious as to how many people, newbies and experienced folks, keep a journal on their tanks. I have kept one from day 1 although I'm not as good about now as I was when I started.
I was re-reading through mine to see what I did when I started compared to what people are doing now and this is what I found: I set my tank up on 4/16/01. I put in my cleanup crew on 7/20. My very first coral (mushrooms:D ) went in on 7/25. There are a lot more entries obviously, but it was kind of neat to see what I did when I was a newbie.
Anybody wanna share their ideas or experiences on this?
Thanks,
Dan'l

nas19320

I do the same thing with test results and new addtions, I like to see the trends with my parameters. I also add notes such as things I notice that may become a potetial problem, new equipment addtions etc. I also try and take a few pictures of my tank every month to get an idea on growth and coloring of my corals.

D

dubbin1

My wife keeps everything we do to the tank and a wish list in her journal. LOL it took her a week and a two hour drive to find the perfect journal :)

I have kept a journal since day one . . . its more like a log than a journal though. Includes all the imoprtant dates such as additions, removals, etc.
The main info in there though is what I am dosing, how much, and the test results.
This helps me to keep track of Ca consumption rates based on coral growth and what not.
I can't recommend this enough to any new hobbiests! Keep a DETAILED log of your tank!

flydan

Hey,
Thanks for the replies. I just thought it was important to keep a journal/log and hadn't seen any mention of them so I thought I'd bring it up on this forum.
After several years it's kind of cool to see what happened and when. (I also keep records of water testing. I used to do it 2 or 3 times a week, now it's more like twice a month or if something is obviously out of whack.)
I also know when it's time to change bulbs which helps a lot.
Dan';

cosguy20

Originally posted by Dubbin1
I just found this awsome piece of software tonight that you guys may like to check out Clicky Clicky

YOU FORGOT TO TELL US THAT IT"S FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
YIPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

ohioreef

I upgraded to the ReefCon Pro and really like it. Compared to the prices of the rest of the stuff we buy, $20 is a bargain!!

flipper263

I have two tanks and have seperate journals for each of them. I have a small 6 ring binder with 5 sections so I log water changes, water tests, livestock addition, equipment maintenance and interesting behaviours.
I can't think of anything else I should be keeping track of. Ive only been at this a couple months and I already like to look back and see what Ive done.
flip:jumping: