Keeping a Red Sea Fan? (Gorgonia sp)

natclanwy

Does anyone have any experience keeping a Red sea fan? I am looking at one at the LFS but I was trying to find some info one their care requirements, size, growth rate ect.. and so far I haven't been able find much of anything specific to this species. I am assuming that it is non-photosynthetic and will need to be fed but I wanted to make sure before I decide one way or the other.
Thanks

aquaknight

There definitely are photo and non-photosynthetic sea fans, and without a true scientific name, it's hard to say. However the general guideline is that if the polyps are stark white, it's either a non-photo fan, or a photosynthetic that has lost all of it's zooxanthallae, and therefore is need of some TLC and should be avoided. Photo fans polyps should be brown, or any shade thereof.

natclanwy

I decided to try it, but I have my first question. I haven't been able to find a true scientific name yet and I will try to get a pic up, but for now I'll give a description, it has red tissue and is growing in a flat interlaced pattern. Haven't seen the polyps yet so still no idea whether it is photosynthetic or not. Any way my question is there is a very small section about the size of a dime that has lost its tissue, should I trim the dead area off or leave it?