Keeping Fish in to Small of a Tank

mr. limpid

Everyone ask the question. I know all fish come from the big blue, so any size tank is smaller than that. Some fish are great swimmers and need large space to roam, unless you are filling your basement our tanks will be to small. My question is if a fish doesn't reach its max. size in captivity why can't we keep them in smaller tanks? Shouldn't there be some ration of size of fish vs tank size and then a add for different fish?

oceandude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpid http:///t/389643/keeping-fish-in-to-small-of-a-tank#post_3445164
Everyone ask the question. I know all fish come from the big blue, so any size tank is smaller than that. Some fish are great swimmers and need large space to roam, unless you are filling your basement our tanks will be to small. My question is if a fish doesn't reach its max. size in captivity why can't we keep them in smaller tanks? Shouldn't there be some ration of size of fish vs tank size and then a add for different fish?
Well said.

mr. limpid

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceandude http:///t/389643/keeping-fish-in-to-small-of-a-tank#post_3445196
Well said.
I was actual ask a question not making a comment.
Here's another thought, If we all start a chart of fish we kept, size tank, size fish and length of time lived. I'll start, for the 30gal I only mentioned the ones who lived past a year.
Tank Size Type of Fish Fish Size Age Recommend
135 Facula Butterfly 6" 5.5years Yes
135 Lattice Butterfly 3.5" 2years Yes
135 Cheveron Tang 4" 2years Yes
135 Hippo Tang 3" 8month None
135 Powder Blue Tang 4.5" 2month Questionable
135 Percula Clown 2" 5years Yes
20 Yellow Tail Damsel 3/4" 5years Yes
30 Henioch Butterfly 3.5" 4years No
30 Hippo Tang 4" 4years No
30 Percula Clown 4" 8years Yes
30 Blue Damsel 2.5" 10years Yes

S

saxman

IME, most captive specimens only reach about 75%-80% of their max "wild" size. This is most likely due to nutrition (no matter how we try, we simply can't duplicate a fish's diet "properly"), but "tank stunting", caused by "under-tanking" a given species can also cause this.
We can't do a lot about the first issue (nutrition) other than try our best, but we CAN try not to undertank the fish in question. What I've seen in undertanked fish are big changes in behavior, which usually manifest themselves as elevated aggression (due to territory or "cabin fever"), increased "pacing", or in the case of others, almost a complete lack of swimming (I've seen this a lot in lionfish that are cramped). Additionally, in predatory or "messy" eaters, water quality often takes a hit in smaller setups.
We spend a lot of time playing musical tanx because we typically buy very young fish, and they need "upgrades" as they grow towards their final "target tank".
JM .02...

mr. limpid

Thanks Saxman, I'm seeing it in my new powder blue pacing the open areas of the glass. I hope he stops do not have a larger tank to put him in, nor planning any upgrades. You have any fish to add to the list?

oceandude

Yeah, sorry...thanks for pointing that it was a question and not a comment...in my haste and quick scan due to multitasking I did not read correctly.
Agree with other members. Prime example; a Regal, even small needs lots of swim room as many other species.
Again, thanks for pointing that out.