Keeping sand clean?

xcali1985

Hermits, Snails, etc.
Thats all I use, there are fish that can be used, however most all are also sand dwellers and will move the sand around to find a spot to call home. A Diamond Goby is a good fish, he will suck up sand clean it and spit it back out. Be aware that they also can swim with sand in their jaws and release it where ever they feel fit. If you have plate LPS or SPS corals take a lot of caution with these if sand is deposited on them they can become very irrated.
Im curious to ask what is going on with your sand. Are you in the initial diatom bloom most new tanks go through.

j. crow

Nah.. My tank isn't new, I just moved it about 2-3 months ago but kept most of the water and everything.. It was set up at my old house for at least a year or almost 2..
I was on the fence about a diamond goby but I'd prefer to other things before.. It's all a big maybe for me

ryancw01

I have a diamond goby and he is a hard little worker. Keeps the sand bed totally white by turning it all over during the day. Has two burrows in the tank currently and he chills in those for the most part. Diamond gobys are not known for swimming around too much. When they are sifting they stay on the sand bed. Sleeper gobys with the blue heads are the ones that sift and swim at the same time.

jdl

i have a fighting conch and a sea cucumber. My sand is always clean, i have never had to do anything with my sand and my tank has been up over a year.

spanko

Nassarius snails to dig around in and under the sand eating meaty detritus.
Cerith snails to dig around in and under the sand, on the rocks, on the glass, eating vegetative matter.
A florida fighting conch to move around the sand bed surface eating diatoms and algae.

spanko

They are amazing little critters. I have one in my 29 biocube and it does the job, along with the others of course. How many depends on your tank size.

spanko

Originally Posted by Bluetang66
http:///forum/post/3209026
Diamond gobie

IMO using a Diamond Goby Valenciennea puellaris
to keep the sand bed clean is a bad idea unless one has a very large tank with enough substrate to maintain not only the goby but the flora and fauna in the sand. This type of sand sifter critter will decimate all of the valuable life in a sand bed not big enough to support it. Then you can end up with a sandbed devoid of life and the possibility of the goby starving to death. Please don't take my word for it, do some more research on sand sifting critters and their needs before moving in this direction. And when I say more research, not just on any sites that are selling these animals but in some of the more accepted materials that are trying to educate rather than see.
JMO