Kent Bio sediment

redwinger

Can you mix Kent Bio Sediment with South Down and still get the benefits of the sediment ?
I have a 50 gallon sump/fuge I am making and I am wondering how I should partition it. Since I only need 12 lbs. of bio sediment for a sump for a 50 LR, that will not be enough for a 50 gal fuge. So I can either mix it with my extra Southdown or make multiple partitions, 1 for incoming/skimmer, one for bio sediment, one for SD sand, and the last for the return. Or, I can mix the sediment with the sand and skip separating the bio sediment and sand.
Does anyone know what the hell I am getting at here ?

D

daniel411

I really question how effective "Mineral Mud", Kent "Bio-sediment", etc. are.
Since the only benefit that I know of, other than variations in consistancy, would be enhanced mineral levels. I think you'd find whatever benefit you're supposed to receive from the bio-sediment by mixing it up with the southdown.

redwinger

Originally posted by Daniel411
I really question how effective "Mineral Mud", Kent "Bio-sediment", etc. are.
Since the only benefit that I know of, other than variations in consistancy, would be enhanced mineral levels. I think you'd find whatever benefit you're supposed to receive from the bio-sediment by mixing it up with the southdown.

I second that question. It sure sounds like good stuff. I was going to go with the miracle mud but the price difference between the two turned me onto the Kent stuff.
See, my quandry is my sump/refuge. Do I buy a new tank to make one or do I use an empty 50 gal I have laying around for my sump ? I will have tons of space to fill if I use the 50, and only needing 12 lbs Kent means I'll have plenty of tank left over. You need 2+ in on Kent, supposedly.
I have plenty of SD sand.

D

daniel411

Personally I would advocate having the largest sump you can have. It will allow you more options in the long run. Plus it increases your water capacity, with generally larger volumes of water being more stable.
I'd just mix it up with some southdown and have a huge refugium.
I have a jug of mineral mud thats almost completely full, $10 if you want it.