Kent R* O unit questions

kb

I just got a kent r* o unit Maxxima Hi-s 60gpd. It says to run the unit for 10 hours but that you can still use the filtered water-has anyone done this and used the water. The info. that came with it also said to keep the filters wet all the time-i know some of you have this unit and was wondering how you do your upkeep of this unit. Thanks for the info. in advance!

jimi

I have that model but dont recall it saying to run it for ten hours, although it may have. I ran mine for however long it took to fill 10 gals and disguarded that water.Probably around 5 hrs. As far as maintenance I replace the carbon and micron filter about every 4 to 6 mon.

kb

What temperature water do you guys use? When I ran all cold hardly any water came out of the blue tube(the filtered water), but when i turned on the hot water(not hot but just to make the cold less cold) it came out much quicker. What I really want to know is how everyone uses the unit(what you have tried personally that seems to work-sometimes you can figure stuff out that is not in the instructions!) How do you store the unit too. I change my water like every 4 weeks and I don't want the membrane to get ruined. Should I put it in a bag like the instructions say or should i leave it in the unit? The other thing i just read this morning is that phosphate and nitrate test kits usually give a false reading and show that there is a lot of phosphate or nitrate! This is ridiculous how am i supposed to test the water?
[This message has been edited by kb (edited 02-01-2001).]

jimi

You should be using it for water lost to evaporation also which should be almost daily depending on your tank size. I put the output lines higher then the unit when not in use to keep the membrane wet. If you unhook the unit from the faucet, then store it with all lines higher then the unit. As far as I know you should not be using hot water AT ALL not even mixed.

kb

So, you guys all use just cold water only. Doesn't it come out horribly slow? Also, has anyone tested the water for nitrates or phosphates? It said in the instructions it most likely would give you a false reading!? That kind of stinks! Thanks for all the input guys!